• Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch hydraulic conversion 4 years 7 months ago #24869

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I just acquired a 1981 A3 13. I will write about it later, as things will need to be done on it and there is a story. I was looking for a titled frame, but this came along locally at a good price, so I went for it. But that's later.

A quick question for now...

Does anyone recognize this clutch conversion? Did this come from a source offering these or is it 'home made'? I'm also wondering what value this might have - simply out of curiosity as I'm keeping it. It works great but I must say I don't find it lighter than the stock I have on the other 13.

The lever is adjustable - levels 1 to 4.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch hydraulic conversion 4 years 7 months ago #24870

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
There are instructions for that conversion on the forum. Someone used to sell the plate, but instructions where clear on how to DIY.

I've done it. Found the Hyd to be smoother. Though mine is probably not any lighter.

You can get a smaller Master Cylinder if you want a lighter feel (but it will require more throw). 1/8" inch makes a noticeable difference.

That conversion could use a non-oil soaked line and some decent bolts. I ran the cable forward instead of back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Clutch hydraulic conversion 4 years 7 months ago #24874

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I had it set at the most travel of the piston, so perhaps this made it hard - I just wanted the clutch move as much as possible as it was stuck from sitting.
I can imagine being easy at lower setting. And yes, it was smooth despite the carburetor not delivering smooth at times. The bike ran fine. This conversion works great and the fluid inside was crystal clear. I'm actually not sure yet what I'd do later, as I am after stock look and collector plates. Stripping the black paint will make it all shiny, and it might be just fine. I think here in BC, Canada, it is not as strict as with cars. Motorcycles are permitted some changes if it helps safe operation, as long as the overall shape and look is true to the era. I'll probably get away even with the 6-1 instead 6-2 exhaust for a while until I get the exhaust sorted out.

Clutch hydraulic conversion 4 years 7 months ago #24875

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I know in Ontario vintage platea restrict the amount of kms that can be put on a vehicle does the same apply in,BC

Clutch hydraulic conversion 4 years 7 months ago #24876

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Wow!
Sounds like some of you guys on the other side of the pond have got some strict rules to abide by !

Over here in the Rubbish Dump of Europe (the UK) we can get away with a hell of a lot of modifications on bikes and cars and still pass an annual MOT (vehicle test).
Infact my own 1979 KZ1300 is now not not required to have any annual test anymore, or have to pay any annual road tax, because it is over 40 years of age.
I only have to pay for insurance............which is only £100 per year.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Clutch hydraulic conversion 4 years 7 months ago #24878

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
In Texas there is a safety inspection. If lights and brakes work and tires have 1/8” of tread, you are good.

If your blinkers don’t work, you can remove them and it still passes. Good old hand signals....

Inspection is less than $10. You also have to pay registration (maybe $30). Liability insurance is typically $100/yr on an old bike.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds