TOPIC:

SPARK PLUGS ? 10 years 2 months ago #1954

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Ok, this topic always open a lot of debate on any car or bike website. !

So here goes......................

Which plugs do use in your 1300/6 ?

I find with any older bike the plugs can be even more important to the general running which is due to elements such as quality of fuel, oil burning, compression, carb set-up & ignition factors too.

We all know the Z/KZ1300 uses BPR6ES plugs from the factory, & I personally have always came back to these after trying nearly everything else including Champion, Bosch, Nippon Split-fire & many more. They all work & create a spark, but the NGK always seems to last longer without much cleaning & adjustment. I often went up a heat rating to BPR5ES if the bike was higher mileage as it helps to burn the excess oil at lower revs........which is a good tip !
Its also very interesting how much the plug gap makes on a 1300/6.......they are very fussy when it comes to plugs & the gap can make a world of difference.

Then along came IRIDIUM Plugs......BPR6EIX.

These are very good & real high performance plugs with a much longer life span than regular plugs, but you pay a lot extra for them too. I fitted them to my last VMAX & I can honestly say it transformed the bike on idle, pick up & high revs.......it was a definite improvement. Many said it was due to the fact the VMAX has one coil per plug, so gives a VERY high quality spark...........probably true ?

My question is has anyone fitted IRIDIUM Plugs to their 1300/6 yet & if so how have they performed ??

I will no doubt end up buying 6 (yikes!!) and trying them with my current bike, especially now I know the whole top end is 100% after the rebuild, but am really interested to here anyone's spark plug experience & its a good thing for us all to share as owners.

Regards

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

SPARK PLUGS ? 10 years 2 months ago #1955

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I'm using Nology coils,wires and plugs.
And you are right about the Iridiums on coil over plug set up - noticable difference on my Hayabusa.
They maybe worth a try next time round.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Last edit: by tackelhappy. Reason: spelling

SPARK PLUGS ? 10 years 2 months ago #1956

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh my lord.............you have a BUSA......well done mate !!!

You are a brave man, maybe a Gladiator Or a Crocodile Wrestler in a former life ? !!

I love them, & know a few people who own them..........a REAL MANS BIKE. I rode an early model & was blown away by the pure & concentrated "Grunt"......something you dont forget in a hurry.

I just wish I could bend myself into the shape required to ride & hang onto one & get the best out of it.... but I have not aged well with all the neck & back surgery I have had due to accidents as a boy (when I was a Barry Sheen body double) ......LOL !

Pete F

SPARK PLUGS ? 10 years 2 months ago #1957

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I've had BPR5EIX (one grade hotter) in my ZG for a couple of years now & can report that they do seem to improve running. At the time I found if you shopped around & got 'creative' with the searches for NGK iridium plugs you could get them for under £5 each as some jokers were asking over £10 each, although that was a couple of years ago.

Edit: just had a quick look on Ebay & it looks like they've actually come down in price since I was last buying them :cheer:
Only dead fish go with the flow

Last edit: by Phil.

SPARK PLUGS ? 10 years 2 months ago #1958

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Cheers, Phil,

That was the kind of reply I was expecting & hoping for.

The BPR6EIX seems to be around £5.90 at best on Ebay so not as expensive as they were.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

Pete F

SPARK PLUGS ? 10 years 2 months ago #1972

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
I've been using the BPR6EIX. Iridium plugs for about 18 months with good results. A lot of issues with plug selection depend on how hot a coil is.

I'm using Dyna DC-1 coils, which helped a lot after retiring the old coil set. New wires and caps are a must with new coils too.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds