TOPIC:

best dremel bits to clean off old paint. 4 years 8 months ago #24722

• beertad
  • beertad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
guys
can anyone share their preferences based on experience of best bits to remove old paint in prep for fresh. i cannot remove and strip motor so in frame job (long winded i know)
also has anyone had aqua blasted motor and left the finish rather than paint? if so how has it held up.
Tad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

best dremel bits to clean off old paint. 4 years 8 months ago #24725

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
This is what I wrote regarding a similar question about 2(?) years ago.

With all due respect:
I can certainly understand the desire to attempt to paint the engine - in the frame. My answer to this question comes from being reasonably comfortable with working on most any part of the bike, so I am biased here perhaps. My question would be, "What are you looking for as and end result?" I ask because I can not imagine myself taping and masking everything that will need to be, in order to "attempt' to paint an engine, in-frame. Given the amount of time required to mask I would find the whole process easier and a heck of a lot less overall work, to remove the engine. Then you can clean and prep. everything properly from top to bottom and at least have half a chance the paint will stick and have even coverage. I don't see any way of getting the engine clean of oil, oil residue and normal road grime - especially the bottom end - with the engine in-frame. Won't dispute it's been done, but I would question the true quality of the finish and how long those "tough" areas would hold paint. It's a lot of work either way but I'd choose the method that would give the best results with the longest life. And regardless of your painting method - "Rattle-can" most likely - trying to spray an even coat of paint under the trying conditions of being in-frame, will most certainly create a LOT of areas with thin coverage and lots of "runs" trying to cover those areas. It's a question of your expectations. Will it look like it was done right and how long will it last?
Sometimes it's better to leave things as is, do a few touch-ups and just wash and wax the shit out of it. Personally speaking I can appreciate to a far greater extent something that has mileage, wear-n-tear, scratches and chips but is otherwise clean and cared for, over something that has an obvious appearance of being done in a less then complete manner.
I'm obviously strongly opinionated on this topic and it comes from having just removed, cleaned and painted my Oil-pan. It was enough work as it was, having it on the bench! I can not imagine trying to achieve a good paint job "in -frame". And that's speaking of only the pan!
If removing the engine is not an option then consider just touching-up the visible areas of concern. I did some smaller touch-ups on the front of my engine by thoroughly cleaning the areas and painting them by hand with some silver "Rust-oleum" and a fine artists paint brush. The color match is satisfactory and with some care with the brush strokes, the touch-ups are all but invisible.
Half way through an in-frame painting attempt is not the time to regret this decision if your goal is to achieve <...a real good job....>!
So again - I respect the idea and the question but would suggest you really think twice about your options. And good luck either way !
Hopes this helps you make the right decision for your intention and goal.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

best dremel bits to clean off old paint. 4 years 8 months ago #24726

• beertad
  • beertad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks scotch. i am open to all views. i agree removal and full strip and clean is best. however i also have a lot of people say take your time and you will get a great job also in frame.
haven't decided yet.
if removal then aqua is another good way to go but that,s full engine strip down which may not be necessary once i find out if she runs ok.
did you aqua or hand strip?
also whats your views on aqua and leaving the finish rather than paint please.
Tad

best dremel bits to clean off old paint. 4 years 8 months ago #24727

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
also whats your views on aqua and leaving the finish rather than paint please

Don't have any experience with Aqua but I know others here have used this process.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

best dremel bits to clean off old paint. 4 years 8 months ago #24729

• paulb
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
I am also nearly at the stage where i am going to paint the engine however i want to powder coat the frame so intend to remove the motor which will be a learning curve for me but i have read various write ups suggesting laying the frame over and removing it from the engine rather than the other way.round.
While enquiring about powder coating the frame with a reputable company in the uk i enquired about aqua blasting which was a service they also provided,while happy to do it they were very keen to hi-light the risks of any possible water ingress and emphasised that no companies would accept liability if any damage would occur , this has deterred me a little but i continue to enquire as the engines i have seen that have been aqua blasted have been spotless

best dremel bits to clean off old paint. 4 years 8 months ago #24732

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
To sand blast or aqua blast you need seal the engine 110%. This is what the companies had in mind I bet - no responsibility for any blasting residue inside the engine. You can imagine what a spoon of very fine 'sand' could and would do to the engine. You'd need to fabricate plates with seals to bolt them plugging the exhaust and intake ports, and also any other holes. Direct blast directed at gaskets might erode them, and you would have lost of blasting medium inside as well - that would mean serious damage if staring the engine. In other words - proceed with caution.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds