Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A 2 will not turn over !!! HELP PLEASE 4 years 9 months ago #24453

• z13phil
  • z13phil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
undefined Hi Guy's, after a 10 month lay up my A2 will not turn over :( first step did all the electrical tests on the starter / switch / and solenoid. As stated in the genuine workshop manual, all OK. Even swapped the starter out of my Z1R ! Same problem. I think something is Stuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: Next step going to check out the starter clutch, never done this before and I think may need special tools or may have to make them. If any of you Guy's out their can help or give any good pointers please do, I say Starter clutch, I may be wrong ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A 2 will not turn over !!! HELP PLEASE 4 years 9 months ago #24456

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Did you check the position of the seat lock key tumbler, is it in the run, park taillight should be on all the time or the security position if you look real hard you will see a legend on the side cover of what position the lock is in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: z13phil

A 2 will not turn over !!! HELP PLEASE 4 years 9 months ago #24458

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Did you try jumping the 2 large terminals on the starter relay to see if the engine flips over? That would power the starter and bypass all of the controls that effect the starter circuit. if it flips over, then you can start sourcing the issue that energizes the starter circuit.

A 2 will not turn over !!! HELP PLEASE 4 years 9 months ago #24467

• Gavin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 15
Have you checked that the fuel hasn’t drained into the gearbox causing Hydraulic lock, happened on my Z1100 shaft years ago,when laid up for a year, the carbs overflowed fuel went into the airbox then into the gearbox, check oil level if looks over full drop the oil before trying to start it with jump leads, forcing an engine that is locked this way will cost you dear

A 2 will not turn over !!! HELP PLEASE 4 years 9 months ago #24469

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

Gavin wrote: Have you checked that the fuel hasn’t drained into the gearbox causing Hydraulic lock, happened on my Z1100 shaft years ago,when laid up for a year, the carbs overflowed fuel went into the airbox then into the gearbox, check oil level if looks over full drop the oil before trying to start it with jump leads, forcing an engine that is locked this way will cost you dear

Gavin makes an excellent point here. Hydraulic cylinder locking has happened frequently. The carbs overflow and fuel runs in to the cylinder(s) and hydraulically locks the cylinder and usually a connecting rod gets bent.

it may not be too late. Before doing anything , pull the spark plugs before attempting to restart. If the the engine turns over and fuel squirts out of any of the cylinders, you have your answer. If it did lock up, you'll have to do some more inspections including a compression test. If a cylinder or more are lower than the rest, you may have bent a con rod.

A 2 will not turn over !!! HELP PLEASE 4 years 9 months ago #24471

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Hey, Z13phil: Humor me
So.....What exactly do you mean by "not turn over"?
stocktoy commented about the Master-Switch under the seat. That is a common issue and made sense - if you were unaware of it or inadvertently left it in the off position. However, you stated that you checked out the electrical side of things and then replaced the starter so...... I would presume that power is getting to the starter because you then mention the starter clutch?
My Q is: Does the starter spin but not the engine? If this is the case then the starter clutch innards could be gummed-up and not engaging. If the starter clutch is engaging but the engine is not rotating........then yes - something is seriously "stuck", in the engine and the hydro-locking is a valid concern.
Have you removed the spark-plugs and tried to manually rotate the engine clock-wise ONLY with the 14 mm bolt on the alternator end?
Some clarity would be helpful before you start ordering rods !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds