Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Recognize this horrible engine noise anyone??? 5 years 1 month ago #23401

• A1
  • A1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Ha, I finally got my A1 out on the road and have been working my way through the usual problems...
It is running sweetly now on all 6 and pulls like a train, only problem is I have this unidentified engine noise - maybe the cam chain or water pump??
I have had a good look under the cam cover and the cam chain is not loose (manual tensioner is finger tight), the plastic idler wheel looks ok, had the manual tensioner out and the black rubber roller seems to be present.
Before I start a major disassembly, has anyone come across this before????
Cheers
Andy
Here is the you tube link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Recognize this horrible engine noise anyone??? 5 years 1 month ago #23404

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Video-Clip is not long enough and far too much wind-noise. Try it again with longer idle and gradual throttle input, please!
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Recognize this horrible engine noise anyone??? 5 years 1 month ago #23405

• A1
High Scotch and thanks for your interest.
Noise was originally heard intermittently, but now seems to be more common - not very apparent at idle or when cold.
Take two on youtube

Andy

Recognize this horrible engine noise anyone??? 5 years 1 month ago #23407

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
This is outside my area of expertise, but it does not sound like a chain noise to me.

My suggestion is to get a length of hose and use it as a stethoscope (hold one end to your ear) to pin point the problem spot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: A1

Recognize this horrible engine noise anyone??? 5 years 1 month ago #23410

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Andy,
Better audio. Stethoscope is a good idea to try to isolate/discriminate from top-end, bottom-end. Agree that it otherwise sounds smooth and has nice clean transition. No need to jump to radical conclusions and scare the shit outta you so will give this some additional listening, tonight.

I've got some ideas but,,,,, would first like to know what work had you done on the engine immediately prior to that "sound" starting, regardless of how minor ?
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Recognize this horrible engine noise anyone??? 5 years 1 month ago #23412

• A1
Hi Scotch and thanks.
Let me see now… prior to initially starting the engine, I checked that the cam timing (was as per the manual), and that the manual tensioner was doing its job (was finger tight).
I checked the valve adjustment and changed out 4 shims (of the clearances requiring change, none was tighter than 1 thou clearance).

Removed the oil pan and checked the oil pump pick up screen for debris (was clear).
Measured the primary and secondary chains while I was there…

Removed the air valve reeds and replaced with OEM blanking plates, gaskets and covers (because every hose end was split).
I removed the LH & RH engine covers (and stator) for re-polish.
I removed the starter motor, checked, cleaned and reassembled.

New oil filter/ oil, spark plugs and that’s about it…

I did have major issues with the carbs both before and after the first start and then road test.
Whilst looking for answers, I checked that the auto advance unit was lubricated and advancing properly (it was).
The noise was first noticed during the first road test (after about 4 miles), but it was (and is) difficult to pin point – in time I was able to discount other possible causes, like front brake, tire or cooling fan – it does sound like it is coming from the front (top) of the engine?
Andy

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds