Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Primary and secondary chains 5 years 4 months ago #22254

• Vilhelm
  • Vilhelm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello folks. I am from Denmark and have recently joined this marvelous group of BigZ enthusiasts. I am going to change the primary and secondary chains on my Z1300, which is a 1980 A-1 model. I was a little worried over much mechanical noise from the engine. Kawboy advised me to remove the oil pan to have a look on the chains. And yes, they both showed 17-18 mm. slack. This is too much, even if the limits is a little more on 21 and 22 mm. To change them the crankcase have to be disassembled. This is a big job, so I want the new chains to be first class quality, so they will last the next 100.000 km or more.
Now I wonder if some of you BigZ folks here, can recommend a good quality chain, and where to get it. I don't know if genuine original chains are still available, but I have found two sellers on Ebay which have new Z1300 chains to sell and also the german firm MCG sells these chains. Any experience with some of these ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Vilhelm.

Primary and secondary chains 5 years 4 months ago #22255

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
McBoney just picked up a set of chains and I believe they came from Motorcycle Products Ltd
secondary chains
They also have the primary chains same price I think?

Maybe McBoney can chime in here as well Please.

I went a slightly different route and went directly to Ramsey Chains in North Carolina USA and had custom chains made and I believe they cost me $180 US each.

I'd stay away from the EBay stuff. Most of the chains are removed from existing engines IE worn chains, not new.

KB

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Primary and secondary chains 5 years 4 months ago #22273

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Yes, I got both primary and secondary from there and if you look at the videos I posted you can see the enormous difference between the old ones and the new ones.

.... plus the entire process of splitting the crankcase, which even I could do with basic tools and a little space in my kitchen! :cheer:

Paul

Edit note Kawboy- Link to Paul's video with the new chains in place.
video of new primary/secondary chains
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Primary and secondary chains 5 years 4 months ago #22314

• Vilhelm
  • Vilhelm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Thank you both. I have read Mcboneys journey on restoring a K1300 engine, with great interest. Very glad to read that the primary chain can be changed without dismantling the connecting rods. I would rather not disturb the rods if not needed.
Motorcycle Products Ltd are unfortunately out of stock with the chains. I think I will buy them from MCG in Germany. They are a little expensive, so hopefully they are also good quality.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds