TOPIC:

Chrome... 5 years 4 months ago #22218

• Frank833
  • Frank833's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
This is StanG's fault!

After seeing the pic of his bike, I am really thinking I should chrome the parts I have painted silver...

There are a couple of chrome platers here in town.

Any tips on how much I should expect to pay?

Thinking about both end covers, clutch cover, valve cover, ignition cover, a few brackets, maybe some carb parts...
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chrome... 5 years 4 months ago #22221

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Hahaha Frank! I'm used to it ;)

And I also chromed the exhaust pipes and mufflers as well. And the carb tops, bowls, and the stay plate! haha

I don't know the US, but as an example, I paid CAN $70 +tax for each pipe. Plating the handlebar was 120 (I know, you can buy something else for half this and drill the holes), mufflers if I remember about 140 each, engine covers 120 each (clutch + L+R so x3), smaller parts like carb bowls, covers, m/c covers, engine brackets, exhaust pipe holders, 23 - 30 each, heat shields (4) average 35 each, grill 60, etc etc. The most expensive one time shot was the engine guard, not installed yet because I need to find/fabricate longer bolts and I will be removing the right cover for service, $275. Expensive but better than new. These prices not include the 12% tax, all in Canadian dollars. I think it's very cheap comparing to Europe.

I know after you've done it, you will love the bike even more! Besides being a great running good looking machine, it will be a candy!

Last edit: by StanG.

Chrome... 5 years 4 months ago #22222

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I went ahead and ordered another valve cover - figured if I am going to Chrome it, I'll put a bit more effort into removing the emissions stuff.

Chrome... 5 years 4 months ago #22223

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I probably won't do the carbs. I'm debating on going FI after it's together.

Chrome... 5 years 4 months ago #22224

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I think it will be good to have both. From what I've seen many plug those holes as well. It doesn't affect the performance and much more space and easier access to the coils. Personally, I like the unique look of having those two 'towers' where the valves go. Make the engine look more complicated and fancy, haha And some of those covers come with reed valve covers not drilled by factory, and aluminum plates which come instead of the valves. So, if you don't mind or like having those 'towers', which look great chromed or polished (in my case for a more soft organic look in this case) against a black or grey cover if you'd go for it, you can have it both ways just by removing those reed valves and inserting the plates.

(before cleaning)

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

Chrome... 5 years 4 months ago #22225

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daro

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds