Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Radiator Options 5 years 4 months ago #22375

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

Frank833 wrote: Flowing the water faster has negligible results unless the water was to slow to begin with.

So at idle it may help. On the highway, probably no difference.

I beg to differ. Maintaining high rates of cooling water always promotes cooling: heat energy carried off per unit of time is increased.
High cooling water flow rates increase heat transfer coefficients (by promoting turbulence), as well as keeping the cooling water at lower temperature, which further promotes cooling, as the heat carried off per unit of time is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the cooling water and the object to be cooled (see Newton's law of cooling).
Of course there may be other, practical limitations to cooling water rates, such as pump rating and pressure build up. But within these margins, the faster the flow of cooling water, the better the cooling.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Radiator Options 5 years 4 months ago #22376

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
The narrower radiator certainly looks better, but to make it work where I live in 35 + degrees of summer heat would require the fan to run constantly and maybe an electric water pump to maintain high coolant flow regardless of radiator air flow/ engine speed.
The stator probably couldn't supply enough power to do all that
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Radiator Options 5 years 4 months ago #22377

• McZee
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Do you think any on the new waterless coolants would make a difference to the old 1300 engines?

Radiator Options 5 years 4 months ago #22380

• Frank833
  • Frank833's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
I have used them in engines where we were not allowed to run traditional antifreeze (and I did not want to have to drain coolant during freezes). They do not seem to me to cool any better than water with water wetter.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds