• Page:

TOPIC:

Indoor/Winter running of engine 5 years 5 months ago #21950

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Bought a 4" X 3.5" silicone air intake adapter, a length of 4" aluminum dryer ducting and a 4" dryer vent.
Self explanatory from there.

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Indoor/Winter running of engine 5 years 5 months ago #21951

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Man, what some guys will do to go riding in the winter months and not have to get the snow off their bikes ;)
Do you have a big screen tv in there with "Wilderness Tours" playing?

That beats the old 4" rubber hose we used at Markham Chrysler Dodge that you threw over the tailpipe and out through the hole in the overhead door. They would get so hot the rubber would start to melt and the smell........Nice work Scotch

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Indoor/Winter running of engine 5 years 5 months ago #21952

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
That would had solved my problem, why didn't I think of it and tune the bike while still in my living room!!! hahaha

I would seriously invest in a set of rollers for the back wheel. Similar to the bicycle ones. DO they even make those for motorcycles, except for the refined Dyno set ups? I bet it wouldn't be even seriously challenging to design and make one. Most common bearings and a couple of drums dropped into a frame. Or, grab a piece of old machinery feeding system they used on convener belts or something similar? You could even test your carbs under load!

Indoor/Winter running of engine 5 years 5 months ago #21955

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I am on the winter storage subject, right? Correct me if not and move it to a new topic Kawboy, please, if that would make more sense.

I am reprinting what is said about winter storage of bikes. Without permission of course, but serving greater purpose.

WINTER IS COMING...
For many riders that means putting their pride and joy into storage. If this is the first time you have put a motorcycle into storage we do have a checklist that can help you out! We also offer a winter storage program if you do not have the space, time or tools to do it yourself. Winter storage kits can be custom built to your exact needs, with all of the supplies required to store your machine at home. Contact one of our friendly service advisors to see how we can help you ensure your motorcycle is stored properly.
Kawasaki minimum reccomended storage basics to keep in mind :
1) Wash & wax. Get rid of any dirt to prevent corrosion or scratches during storage.
2) Fill fuel tank. A full tank will better resist rusting because it won't collect as much condensation. Add fuel stabilizer. Follow the stabilizer manufacturers instructions. Run engine 5 minutes to get stabilizer through fuel tap, pump and filter.
3) Change engine oil & filter. This removes harmful acids and condensation from the engine.
4) Check / change anti-freeze. A frozen engine is expensive to fix. Test coolant for expected low temperatures in your area. Change the coolant every two years.
5) Oil cylinder to prevent corrosion. Remove spark plugs. Use an eyedropper with a length of hose to pour about 15ml of oil into each cylinder. Unplug igniter and rotate engine to coat cylinder with oil. Reinstall spark plugs and igniter. NOTE: This is only needed for damp or outside storage to prevent cylinder rusting. However, it's also needed for any storage space that has drastic temperature changes such as small backyard sheds.
6) Drain carburetors to prevent clogging. Turn the fuel knob to OFF position (OFF or ON position if vacuum tap equipped). Loosen drain screws to drain all fuel from float bowls. DO NOT refill. Tighten drain screws. NOTE: It's not enough to run the engine until it dies. Fuel will still remain in the carburetors.
7) Remove battery. Top up fluid. Store in a cool, dry place but above freezing. Slow charge monthly to prevent sulfation.
8) Spray on a rust inhibitor. Spray on exposed metal parts. DO NOT spray brakes or rubber parts.
9) Park motorcycle. Cover entire machine to prevent dust & dirt collecting. Inside: Use a soft, breathable cloth (an old bed sheet works great) that won’t scratch or trap condensation. Outside: Use a “bike barn” or fitted motorcycle cover.
10) Leave it alone. Some owners prefer to run the engine every few weeks. Don't. This actually causes more damage than good. The engine will collect extra moisture each time it's run and cause cylinder corrosion rather than protect from it. It’s better to follow step 5 if moisture is a concern

Last edit: by StanG.

Indoor/Winter running of engine 5 years 5 months ago #21957

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Step 1. Move to Texas
Step 2. Ride year round
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Indoor/Winter running of engine 5 years 5 months ago #21960

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
LOL Frank. Except the floods and twisters... I'm in. I'm still tracking my good friend after Katrina. 10 years silence I guess she's gone. And the green card that is LOL It's a tough choice when you look at the bigger picture, and some billionaires come out of Thailand. Well, sky's the limit then, but then you might die in a helicopter crash... My 4 years around Mexico, Central & South America, plus the 13 years around Asia and South East Asia have not sorted yet where I really like to lay my bones. The 20 in Europe make it even more confusing, and the rest in the white North make me even more confused, especially in these liberal times. I definitely belong in Archie Bunker, Al Bundy and Benny Hill era. A sense of humor is lost now, a healthy spice between man and woman is being neutered in the name of politics, gain of power. What can I do, except enjoying the plenty of sexy women bending over on facebook contrary to all the metoo bullshit movement? I support the strong felines, even better those with guns, haha Just ridiculous times. Almost feel like I should be sorry to be a white middle age male. Even being an immigrant doesn't give me a brownie point.
I am sorry for drifting into political, if it is, that just naturally happened!
I fucking love Japan - 8 years there. Safe, ordered, clean, drunk, yet clean, fresh, deep, high, high tech, traditional, just good to be a gaijun there. Can't go wrong with them - after all that's where these bikes were designed.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds