Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cylinder head valve seat replacement 5 years 5 months ago #21911

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
That was aimed at Kawboy, but I'll tale a stab.

The KZ1300 uses specific valves (not shared with any other bike or engine that I know of). The only valves I know of available are left over OEM ones and remaining stock of Versah Intake valves. MCG (and probably others) have "Reproduction" valves that could be left over Versah stock, left over something else, or ones they are having made by a supplier.

To the best of my knowledge these valves are all stock dimensions and are not available without the retainer grove.

When folks talk about "Over-sized" valves, they are generally talking about the head being over-sized - with the intent of increased performance.

Getting valves without the retainer grove would be problematic because the intent of the grove is to locate the spring retainer. Moving that grove up/down would change spring preload and coil bind height (same as shimming or cutting the spring pocket). But it would not change the clearance at the camshaft/bucket.

You have to grind the valve tip to increase that clearance and doing that you have to be careful not to grind through the hardened surface.

A note on that grinding.... While the KZ manual details how much you are allowed to grind off, if you have aftermarket valves, they may be hardened to a different depth. So that Kawi provided number is simply a wild ass guess on anything other than Kawi valves.

Getting "custom" valves made is not really that big a deal. Someone like Kibblewhite already makes Z900 valves which are very close. These LIST for $30/each. There is a good chance that someone could get a dealer license and have a dozen sets made for round about $20-25/valve.

The Z900 exhaust valves are 0.5mm larger OD head, 3mm shorter in overall length
The Z900 intake valves are 1.5mm larger OD head, 2.62mm longer in overall length
Stem size is the same
Retainer grove is the same shape
Would need to check Tulip and tip to grove length

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cylinder head valve seat replacement 5 years 5 months ago #21912

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89

Kawboy wrote:

Bucko wrote: Installing new seats and then cutting the seats so that the valve stem height is 37.20 mm would be the best move....

Is that going to stick the head of the valve/edges of the valve into the chamber a bit (when closed) ? That can cause several issues, but in reality the amount we are talking about probably won't make a noticeable difference.

Cylinder head valve seat replacement 5 years 5 months ago #21915

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Frank833 wrote: When folks talk about "Over-sized" valves, they are generally talking about the head being over-sized - with the intent of increased performance.

I was referring to an oversized valve tulip which would allow for new seats to be cut to bring the valve clearance back into spec. But if oversized valves are not avaible, it's a moot point.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Cylinder head valve seat replacement 5 years 5 months ago #21916

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Frank833 wrote:

Kawboy wrote:

Bucko wrote: Installing new seats and then cutting the seats so that the valve stem height is 37.20 mm would be the best move....

Is that going to stick the head of the valve/edges of the valve into the chamber a bit (when closed) ? That can cause several issues, but in reality the amount we are talking about probably won't make a noticeable difference.

I understand what you're saying Frank. Looking at the seats I have in both heads, there's significant top cutting on the 30 degree face, so I'm thinking there's lots of room to raise the 45 degree face and lightly touch the 30 degree face and maintain the upper lip of the insert inside the casting of the head. (hope that all makes sense)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds