Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Combustion chamber damage 5 years 5 months ago #21930

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Scotch : As you have owned your 1300 from new, may I ask if you have had to make many adjustments to the valve clearances? Presumably the clearance tends to get smaller initially, as the valves bed in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Combustion chamber damage 5 years 5 months ago #21931

• Frank833
  • Frank833's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89

scotch wrote: Frank833 : It is possible that this spots are “as cast” and the casting there was too low so it was not machined when the combustion chamber was.

I tend to agree at this point. . Hard to believe Kawasaki would allow this to pass.

I agree. Those spots are as-cast and the casting was just shy 1-2mm in material in those areas. Seeing as how these are so consistent, I am pretty sure this is not a shrinkage issue, but rather either the casting pattern was off or the tooling for the machining was off. Casting patterns wear, but as these issues are obviously present on 79 & 80 models, It's probably not a wear issue.

Combustion chamber damage 5 years 5 months ago #21933

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Over the years the shims have been adjusted 4(?) times. Last winter and this past week being 2 of those. When I got finished last winters adjustment I found #2 exh was near the max. gap. Last week I corrected that and tightened-up a couple of others. Merely to get them more closely matched.
The valve-train (on mine at least) seems bullet proof. Cams still look like new.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Combustion chamber damage 5 years 5 months ago #21935

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

Casting patterns wear, but as these issues are obviously present on 79 & 80 models, It's probably not a wear issue.

Just to clarify, one of the photos I posted early addressing this is from my 82, so it was definitely an ongoing manufacturing practice.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds