Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 1 week ago #23772

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Tuomas wrote: Yeah. Owner of this bike started scraping it to pieces but noticed that there seems to be something wrong or missing with throttle linkages. It is kinda last shot to find out if we could somehow fix it.

I looked at a local ZN1300 that was for sale a few years ago which seemed to have nothing connected to the 'choke lever' The guy selling it told me he had the throttle bodies off for cleaning - I figured he forgot to put something back on - sounds similar to yours.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 1 week ago #23774

• cobra909
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys i have been watching this thread for some time now as i have the same bike (ZN1300 1984) with exactly the same fault. The "choke lever" is not connected to anything else - it is an idle control, the shaft that it is rotated allows more air through the venturies on each throttle body. Back to your original "voyager not starting fault" this is where i am.

Bought the bike 6 years ago as a non runner-kill switch was open circuit, fixed that hey presto all fine. Decided to restore bike to its former glory.

Stripped every component from component, sent frame for powder coating, panels, tank, fairing off to paint shop for paint engine/gearbox/ final drive stripped examined any parts that it required sourced, painted re-assembled. All nuts and bolts on entire bike replaced with allen head stainless steel alternatives.

Re-assembly over several months with any replacement parts obtained from USA.

Bike now looks stunning - unfortunately would not run, with exactly the same symptoms as Tuomas. This is what i found:-

Timing chain, although i thought i had timed the valves correctly i had mistakenly counted 17 links from the center of the guide link (outer link)to the center of the inner link -this was obviously incorrect rectified, still not running. no 6 plug removed and checked for spark-very poor no 1 plug removed spark also poor (i also found if i removed 1 plug from the lead and then checked the other, there was no spark at all. checked the other four plugs no spark 2+5, as it was easier to check at igniter unit for power to coils i thought i would first confirm if pickups were ok. Plug at igniter measured (Six wires 2 per pick up) 192ohms each pick ups ok. Outputs to coils measured with DMM whilst cranking and you could make out the pulses (igniter must be good!!) coil input leads swapped from 1+6 to 2+5- no spark coil removed tested open cct (these coils were brand new, admittedly a cheep version- note to self , dont buy cheep!)
Faulty coil replaced still wont start although now miss fires and tries to catch. further inspection reveals inputs to coils 2+5, 1+6 where transposed (its my age cant see! lol)

all back together started still misfiring replaced plugs with new items now seems to run fine! hoorah!!!

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 1 week ago #23779

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I can confirm that those flaps should open & close with the throttle, the TPS is connected on one end of the throttle shaft that goes from one end of the throttle bodies to the other. The "choke" lever is actually a fast idle & all it does is open the flaps slightly via a cam to temporarily raise the idle speed when cold.
Only dead fish go with the flow

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 1 week ago #23780

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
well done, cobra909, for persevering. It would be good to see some photos of your Voyager. Such an awesome sight!

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 1 week ago #23783

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

cobra909 wrote: (i also found if i removed 1 plug from the lead and then checked the other, there was no spark at all.

That's how they work - the output of one coil connects two park-plugs in series - both plugs are required to complete the firing circuit so if you unhook one plug, the other is disconnected as well.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobra909

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 1 week ago #23785

• Tuomas
  • Tuomas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I think we have replaced spark plugs at least once without any positive result.
We have been looking for replacement engine and found one, but turned out it had over 240 000km on the clock and previous owner told us it had gone through full overhaul twice (1st time warped head at 120000km and second at 220000km, valve failure leading to full catastrophy), so we went home empty handed.
Engine leaks fuel to oil, propably because extensive cranking and use of throttle to keep engine running. Might be also worn out piston rings or something more serious inside the engine.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds