Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Big Bore Kit 9 years 10 months ago #3628

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I certainly would be a bit concerned, especially over #5 at 7.5bar. Put some oil in it and retest, if it comes up to scratch (at least 9.0bar) then give it a bit longer with the run in and retest. If it still has not come up give it a hell of a thrashing and retest.
When I was working for Honda we used to get bikes in at around 1000-1500km with smoking problems and take them, give then a thrashing out on the freeway and it usually sorted the problem. Sometimes the rings just need a hard time to start seating.
Had a young guy come to me recently with a new ZZR1000 with the same problem so I took it for a ride (to diagnose the problem) and came back and said that it just needed him to not be quite as gentle with it and the bore had glazed. Saw him a few months later and all was fine.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Big Bore Kit 9 years 10 months ago #3629

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I probably should also have mentioned that this engine hasn't run yet. The project is taking much longer than I would like so I hooked the battery up so I can turn the engine over now and again.

I think I managed to get engine assembly lube into the rings of 1 and 6 (because they were TDC when I applied it) but only smeared it around the barrels of 2 to 5 to stop rust while open to air.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds