Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 10 months ago #19758

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
You're welcome scotch :)

I regret not having this topic started a week earlier. I'd be checking my valve and it has been sitting on the shelf for 9 months! I have the feeling that all is well though and I'm safe.

Scotch, the type of sandwich plate I had in mind is a simple one, to use only on spin-on filters, like you have now. Is it also how you understood what I said?
Here is a link:

Oil-filter-block-Adaptor-Sandwich-Plate-for-pressure-temperature-sensor-gauge

This is exactly what I bought for the Vmax, but still haven't used it. My idea was to attach this now and you could run pressure or temperature gauges directly from the filter. If not permanently, perhaps for research? It's just about $12, and I am going to do it this summer.

PS. I also like the color LOL
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 10 months ago #19767

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Started the bike yesterday morning to get it out of the shop and about 1.5 minutes into a smooth 1200RPM idle I watched the Oil PSI drop suddenly from 55 to 45PSI.
Started the procedure to get to the PRV in the pan. With the pan on the bench I removed the cir-clip, washer/spacer and ball. Clean and no visible wear or damage to any of the pieces. I measured the washer/spacer @.81mm. I had washer with the correct I/S and O/S diameters and with a thickness of 1.84mm so I installed it. Had it all back together later that afternoon.
Relief-valve now works at 75 PSI and with engine up to temp - 11PSI at 800/900RPM.

Headers are frustrating to install by yourself !!!!! Removing the oil-filter is a "treat". No mess!

"And that's all I have to say 'bout that !"
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: DannyKZ

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 10 months ago #19769

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Sounds good scotch!
One thing sucks though - why didn't you discover it a week earlier? hahaha - I wonder if mine after sitting for years (remember the stuck rusted pistons?) would appreciate this one of the quite effective repair techniques: take it apart, clean, put it together. BAM! It works!!!
The oil pan was very clean though, things should be alright. I might grace the bike with an oil pressure gauge later on to keep abreast of things.

Anyway - congratulations so far and I hope it will stay this way! Give us an update later!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Last edit: by StanG.

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 10 months ago #19835

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Put some more "K's" on this weekend in some nice warm weather. Mornings were 11C with early afternoon up to 26c. Mostly hwy with some stop and go in several small towns which had the fan come on several times. Too many variables and combinations to list but in general terms: The adapter provides a 10c-15c cooler oil-temp with an average of 5-10 higher PSI. 10 PSI at 900/1000 idle. Meets expectations and then some ! The part that continues to thrill me is: No F*@"<'n mess to change the filter, now!
Mentioned earlier that the filter was about $14.00 - actually $12.38cdn.

Last edit: by scotch.

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 10 months ago #19844

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Scotch d'you mind if I ask a bit of a 'catch-up' question about the whole oil temp / cooling / pressures issue..
I've got a US KZ which is fitted with an aftermarket (I assume) oil cooler under the rad, as Stan says, and hoses (now rock-hard and cracking!) running back to ports mounted forward of the oil drain / filter area.
This is an A1 / shallow sump, is yours too (1980?) ?

My question(s) then were; is this oil cooler a common and/or worthwhile mod (as compared to say the deeper sump), and having read this thread I'm wondering what the fundamental driver is, i.e. temperatures or pressures or something else?
I note your test riding temperatures and at your time of writing they weren't extreme, but appreciate your local temps at other times of the year may be much higher(?)

I'm wondering whether I should reinstate my cooler setup (hoses of course, but also need to investigate the unions on the sump and see how it's been done / whether reliable etc.) or just splash yet more cash and get a deep sump, assuming that's about lowering temps and not just covering surge / starvation.

I'm in UK temps so even hot summers are not much higher than low 30's C / mid eighties F.

Apologies if I've missed a discussion leading up to this.. which explained all in advance ?!?!

Richard.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.
Attachments:

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 10 months ago #19850

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Hi RChaloner. Mines an '80 A1 with the OEM "Shallow-Pan" I can't address your "aftermarket" oil-cooler questions as I have never seen one installed on a 1300 and don't recall any dialogue about them. If you're using a "Header" - "WRAP the Collector"! My D.G. header collector is massive. It and the single outlet-pipe run the full length of the oil-pan within 20mm or less ! If this isn't "cooking" the oil I'd like to hear the rationale from someone!
If you're using a stock or similar setup it might be possible to do the same. That would be a good start !
To my understanding, the Deep Sump is predominantly for those who don't check their oil level routinely or like to do miles of "wheelies" ! Adding another liter of oil to a deeper sump as far as temperature is concerned - won't keep the oil cooler. It'll just take a minute or two longer to get up to it's operating temperature which will be dictated by the riding and ambient air temperature conditions.
Over the past few years I've played around with supplemental oil and coolant options - they didn't work well enough to keep them on the bike. Summer temps here can easily be in the mid to high 30's c. Asphalt hot enough to cook on - literally ! Get off the hwy and watch your coolant temps!!!! Same things happening to your oil !
So, 2 years ago I started drawing the details for the spin-on/cooler. Despite an unrelated concern, it's exceeding my expectations for the temperatures ridden in so far and I have no doubt it will deal with the extremes.........and no adapters, hoses, fittings, leaks and brackets.......and you can't see it unless you really look, because appearance was a concern !

Last edit: by scotch.
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds