• scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
finally....after 1 1/2 years !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, rdbhere2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 11 months ago #19715

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
This looks fantastic scotch! Very well done. So happy for you as I know you've been waiting for it.

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 11 months ago #19716

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Must of been quite the feat to index it to face the rear of the bike. Did your buddy do this on CNC?. I see about 20 hours of machining here. What did you spec out for the spin on filter element?
Sure looks pretty !!

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 11 months ago #19717

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I was just thinking and went back to the picks, and it confirmed what I thought. You removed the top crossbar from the center stand. Have you thought about welding a 'V' shape to accommodate the housing and keep the structural integrity of the center stand? I think with just this one bar it should stay strong, but just in case ;)

I've read about spin on filter replacements for Goldwings and old Vmaxes. That's easier done than this one! But there are many, including automotive, replacements even in place of the spin on oem name filters for later models. Overall, the common knowledge says the spring by pass functions better on the simple new canister type spin on filters, than the complicated set up of what the KZ1300 and Goldwings etc. have.

Your piece looks 'sick' and I love the fins. The cooling problem is solved! lol

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 11 months ago #19728

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Beautiful work, scotch.

Spin on Oil-filter/cooler adapter 5 years 11 months ago #19731

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I really like the way you think KB ! The first question is position registration ! A Brain at work ! My original design had the attachment nipple fixed in place with a jamb-nut against the adapter body. The machinist took this one step further for this prototype and made 4 nipples - Each one had the lead-threads 90 degrees different. Once I had installed the first one to see where the adapter tightened, it was easy to choose the correct one to get the adapter tight and "clocked" correctly. When doing the design I had to keep in mind the limitations for a filter. I use WIX brand and found their site had all the specs for the various products. Simply went by appropriate dimension (could go longer if I chose to) and went with one that had a reasonable by-pass pressure. Turns out to be very common, readily available and only $14.00cdn
The adapter and empty "cartridge" cavity take an additional 3/4 liter of oil. Only done 2 shorts rides so don't have any significant volume of "Data" but so far: (without a bunch of mumbo-jumbo" - Cold start oil PSI is the same at 60/65 PSI. At operating temperature: Oil temp is 70c - 10 degrees cooler at 4000rpm/120KPH . (Both rides in air temp of 18c degrees). 900 RPM Idle psi up 5 lbs. Now actually have a reading on the gauge !!!
AND - NO Freakin" mess when changing the filter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The adapter is about 1.5 inches higher then the bottom of the DG collector.
To answer the "center-stand" question: I had removed the additional brace some time ago because it looked like crap. No concern about loosing any strength integrity so no plans to gusset or otherwise reinforce.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds