TOPIC:

Valve Cover Gasket Source? 5 years 11 months ago #19652

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Finally got around to pulling the valve cover on my 86 Voyager - it's never been off before and took some convincing persuasion with a BFRH (Big F'n Rubber Hammer). Sadly the cover gasket ripped during removal. My research shows they're no longer avaible from Kawasaki. What do you guys use? Where do you get them? Enquiring minds want to know.

Also curious if anyone bothers with sealant at the cam bore plugs (as per the service manual) - I've never used it before and have never had any leaks (on other bikes).
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valve Cover Gasket Source? 5 years 11 months ago #19654

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I bought a set on eBay - it has all bunch of gaskets for side covers, oil pan, etc. Whatever not used will be good for the future.
An alternative would be getting gasket material from let's say Lordco, and tracing it making own gasket. It's flat, but many holes. But can be done with patience.
I used a sealant on the plugs - it got squashed out and the rubbers as well, but why not. It's an easy application and gives me some peace of mind considering these plugs are 30+ years rubbers.
Also, check the www.z1300.de/ 'motor' section. New plugs and gasket are there.

Last edit: by StanG.

Valve Cover Gasket Source? 5 years 11 months ago #19658

• Bucko
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Stan. All the kits I see are for all year KZ1300 and ZN1300 but the Engine covers changed in about 82 so they're not all the same and the ZN covers might be different yet again (I don't think so though). If I could find a set for a ZN, I'd be all over it.

Valve Cover Gasket Source? 5 years 11 months ago #19659

• Bucko
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On a related issue: is the driver's side generator cover dry? Wondering if I'll need a gasket for that too when I pull it off for the valve check. If it's dry, I'm not going to worry about a new gasket for now.

Valve Cover Gasket Source? 5 years 11 months ago #19660

• Bucko
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK. Found a generator cover gasket so I'm good there. Still looking for the valve cover gasket but have a solid line on that. Not sure how I'm going to get the old one (and clean it up) of as it's really stuck on there.

Valve Cover Gasket Source? 5 years 11 months ago #19661

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Buco:

Not sure how I'm going to get the old one (and clean it up) of as it's really stuck on there.

That's as easy as 'walking in the rain', haha Imagine all the surfaces on a 35 years bike. I can say I've done them all, except case split, and the cylinder block, the head, etc., that would really bring the reality of rebuilding this bike into perspective.

The method I use is an exacto knife blade. With a control, if you can do it and you'd learn it with time, I shave off the old stuck and hardened gasket. Try different angles and cutting motion - you need to experiment what fits the scenario, as that would include different angles. First, longer strokes and very sharp angles. Then more scraping type motion and shorter more frequent strokes. With a feeling. Last would be some fine strokes with sand paper, 400 to 600, and polishing compound, carefully gated with cloth to prevent contamination. Protect all surfaces on the engine with cloth from scraps falling in, and whatever is taken off the engine can be rinsed in very hot water and dishwasher liquid soap to a perfect shape.

Years ago we use to rinse all in naphtha or kerosene and then blast it with hot water. It would dry and degrease all perfectly, leaving shiny aluminum.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds