• Page:

TOPIC:

Oil-Pan 6 years 5 months ago #17552

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I've decided that before I put the oil back in the engine after my valve-seal re & re that I'm going to drop the DG and Rad. and remove the oil-Pan. It's never been off. As a One-Owner, I'm not concerned about finding anything weird in it, but figure, " It's time, so why not?"
I'll take some pictures and share the results.
Now I'm committed !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil-Pan 6 years 5 months ago #17554

• McZee
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
I changed the oil pan on my 1979 for the later large capacity sump. When I removed the old sump everything was surprisingly clean inside. There was one or two small pieces of what looked like old gasket material and a little bit of sludge in the bottom. I was quite pleasantly surprised, because I had seen some pictures on line where the gauze screen was almost completely blocked.

Oil-Pan part 1 6 years 5 months ago #17556

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
From the time I started to having the oil-pan on the bench took 65 minutes. The header was removed as one piece. Turned the handle-bars to the right and the DG c/w muffler pulled out from the front. I was concerned about the pan being stuck to the block, having read of those who had problems. I took the off-set 17mm wrench from the tool-kit, and made the "assembly" in the photo. A simple slide-hammer" type of tool. Placed the wrench on the front drain-bolt, gave the "slide" 2 light taps downward to the "stop" created by the vice-grips and the pan fell off. The gasket remained intact and stuck to the block.

Attachments:

Last edit: by scotch.

Oil-Pan part 2 6 years 5 months ago #17557

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Removed the screen and washed it and the pan. Very clean for 80,000K.
Attachments:

Oil-Pan part 3 6 years 5 months ago #17558

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
This is what washed out of the screen and into a paint-filter. Several of the tiny pieces were ferrous. The "skinny" length of foreign-material; I think is gasket material. The other
wider long piece is a sliver of brass shim-stock (?). This is the same material I make the Brass Floats out of. It had a curl to it so it is clearly a "trimming" but how it got into the pan is a mystery to me. It was most likely caught in what I thought was a clean rag and perhaps fell into the top of the engine during a valve adjustment/check, at some point in the past. The majority of the material found in the screen appears to be "fuzz" from paper-towels and rags - the same type of material found in my fuel filter (if you remember that article) Go Figure!
I've got 6 new header gaskets ready for the re-assembly but am deciding as to whether I'll bolt the pan back onto the original gasket or buy a new one. I'm in no rush to get it back together if I have to wait for a new gasket but have had good fortune and positive experiences re-using intact gaskets. NOTE: I called the local Kawi. dealer and was told that Kawasaki no longer has them in inventory. Fortunately there are lots of other sources but I find some of the prices plus shipping, quite ridiculous for what you're actually paying for. It would not be difficult to make one so I may opt for that.
I'm going to glass-bead the O/S of the pan to remove the age-stains, will polish the O-ringed elbow, pan-bolts, drain plugs and touch-up the already polished filter-cover and put it back together when I've decided about the gasket. This is an easy one day job and there's nothing to be intimidated about.

Attachments:

Last edit: by scotch.

Oil-Pan 6 years 5 months ago #17560

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
After so many years, I think the oil pan deserved to be acquainted with. ;)
Mine came off after tapping here and there, felt like stuck solid at first. It was quite a bit of constant work but it was off after no more than 30 minutes. I think decades of just standing around made everything less pliable. Good think it got sealed well this way.

Here a couple pick for your reference. As a reminder, it's a 1982 A4. The oil pan now cleaned and ready for a paint coat and then back on the shelf.
If you can spot it, I replaced the OEM oil drain plug with one that has a magnetic element. It's a Subaru - I read somewhere they fit. Perfect. My first performance upgrade, haha

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds