Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Head on Valve Spring Compressor 1/4 6 years 5 months ago #17549

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I've also tried most M/C applicable oils with no notable changes to the loss. But again, The seals were "shot". Obviously I don't use Synthetic$ oils$
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head on Valve Spring Compressor 1/4 6 years 5 months ago #17550

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Well, it's been good that others have added their thoughts and issues to the thread. But there doesn't seem to be any easy answer.
I solved the coil issue, the carb problems, cam chain thing- but this oil issue, at least for me, is the bikes Achilles Heel.
For several years on our annual May long weekend 4 day ride into Glacier National Park, The idea was to ride the oldest bike you had . So we regularly had a couple R/75's, A CBX, '75 Gold Wing and 2 much older Ducati's. and several much newer 6 cylinder Gold Wings. Figting the cold , rain and sometimes snow at that time of year in the mountains was part of the challenge. But over the years , the sarcacsm over the 1300's oil use became tiresome. Everytime we'd stop for gas, I'd have to add some oil. I used to pack a 4 litre jug.
So, I spent a lot of resources trying to fix the problem. But under those riding conditions in that environment , this bike comes up short . I was hoping the Ducati would quit , or vibrate off a muffler, or something, but it never did. So I bought a Hayabusa in 2006 , problem solved.
I only use the Kawasaki infrequently and when on my own , and adjust my riding style to suit the bikes short comings.
I'm gravitating to the crankcase breather system as the problem "somehow " as I don't have smoke , dirty plugs, oily exhaust, or any such thing. I've been trailering the bike to the odd vintage bike rally, in view of the distances I have to travel, so still enjoying it.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Last edit: by tackelhappy.

Head on Valve Spring Compressor 1/4 6 years 5 months ago #17551

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
tackelhappy - You gave me some really good first-coffee morning chuckles. Back in the day the menagerie of bikes, characters riding them and the weird mid summer weather conditions certainly kept my group entertained. Seems we couldn't ride more then 50 Kilometers without someone needing to PEE, or someone deciding they needed another road-pop or through an elaborate array of secret cryptic hand-signs while on-the-roll we voted on whether our "Beverage-carts" were depleted to an unacceptable level and needed to be re-stocked" at the earliest opportunity. I guess I snuck-in that 1/2 litre of oil while most had their backs" to me !:whistle: Broken clutch-cables, Flat tires, bungee-cord readjustments, having to clean bug-guts from visors/sunglasses/teeth and even a Rod through a crankcase, ......any excuse to stop. I guess we never did any serious mileage but we had some good "Shits-n-Giggles" (pun intended) and no weekend was ever boring or repeated. I guess there's a serious emotional attachment of memories associated with my 13 and those I shared those great times with.
Some are gone now, lost touch with the others but me and my 13 are still kickin'-n-tickin' so thanks for the ride down memory lane. A road not taken, often enough !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by scotch.

Head on Valve Spring Compressor 1/4 6 years 5 months ago #17563

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
There is a lot to be said for riding by oneself. For instance . Twelve riders, or so, having ridden for miles as a group, some riding outside their comfort zone and maybe the bikes, trying to keep up, all converge on a gas station all at once. But there is only 3 vacant pumps. A lot of us are going to have to wait while the first ones in get to fill up first. We started the day with too much coffee anyway, add the stress of the last couple of hours of riding, trying to keep as close to the " Leader" as possible, without making it too obvious. Because you know, as does everyone else, of what is coming at the next gas stop. Ok, so I didn't get to be one of the first this time because of the aforementioned oil issue , so I arrive second to last. Alright , I'll be first to the toilet then, I'm bursting anyway because of all that adrenaline and caffeine. So you are right Scotch- now would be the time to sneak that oil in as I was going to park over here in the corner anyway while waiting for the next pump- brilliant !
So we all eventually get gassed up, but in true comrade fashion- like Clarkson in Top Gear- the first in are done and they are off. Now it's lucky I've done this trip at least once before so I have an idea where we are going- no GPS on this bike. After all we are supposed to be doing the old bike thing right.
But finally the Ducati has an issue. It's a 74 or 75 pre- electric start SS.- Looks wonderful, sounds great, but in spite of him getting to the pumps second - he knows "Leader" really well, his re-fuelling is quite a process , is it any wonder he has to be second. First, the bike must go onto the center stand- side stand , if it had one is long gone . It has clip on handle bars, tank bag and soft luggage across the passenger seat. This bike was never designed to do this so all these add on's always looked like they were just about ready to fall off. So I would sometimes follow at a distance. So into the pump , onto the center stand, tank bag off , re-fuel. I'm oiling up, watching out of the corner of my eye ready to pounce.
With re-fuelling now done the first three have to have a drink , or buy a snack , or their credit card didn't work so now the're inside paying- move your f #** bike so I can get in.
Eventually all settles down , everyone leaves - except me and the DUCK. My Redemption Drawth Nigh. The electric start. To start the Duc , not having one,all that rear luggage has to come off because he can't get a swing on the start lever with it in place. And anyway - he's already got several bruises on his right calf and ankle from it kicking back several times at the last stop. Everything has to be done right and in the right order But it does start, but it's got to stay started while all this "stuff" is tied and bungeed back on. It has this friction thingy on the twist grip that tightens to keep the revs up while doing all this other stuff. He's a bit over weight and out of shape and with all this rushing around , the sweat is coming inspite of the temperature of about 5 degrees and bits of snow lying in the corners. To get on the bike, still on the centre stand, now that it is all loaded, is mounting from the right side, right foot onto foot peg, swing left leg up and over luggage all the while reaching clip on's with the tank bag in the way. His legs are a bit short,so he needs some help to rock the bike forward to get it off the stand. He's so crammed in the only position on the seat, he can't get enough upper body motion to rock the bike forward on his own. This fun from where I'm sitting. A frantic wave from the rider and I switch the Kawasaki off, walk over to this beached over loaded bike and push on the rear grab rail and onto it's wheels it goes. I lift my visor- "No more smart arse stuff about oil , ok ! "
But now we are off, with a lot of catching up to do. The others are long gone. He takes off like a mad man. Now he's going to prove to himself at least, that the Duck has it's advantages and it was a good choice of bike to be riding.
So on that day at least, I was happier where I was- electric start- alternator big enough to run an electric jacket, and an exhaust note that all agreed was the best.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Last edit: by tackelhappy.

Head on Valve Spring Compressor 1/4 6 years 5 months ago #17569

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Just want to say thank you Scotch for the post! I got mine finally removed using a very crude setup of a c-clamp and a two inch piece of a pipe after removing a square from it on one side. Of course my cylinder head was off. I'm going to print the information you provided and put it in a folder for later manufacturing of my essential tools :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, Kawboy

Head on Valve Spring Compressor 1/4 6 years 3 months ago #18251

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
I'm reviving this thread because it has several references to oil consumption. I have just been reading a December 1982 TOURING BIKE magazine road test of the KZ1300 A4, and they had this to say on the subject of oil usage :

'Kawasaki listened to owners complaints that 1300s continued using oil, and found that most riders had not ridden their bikes hard enough to seat the piston rings. For 1982 they have provided a softer, more ductile material for the rings, assuring that they will seat properly, though long range wear will be reduced to some extent. Additional holes in the piston skirt now allow for better lubrication of the walls.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, Kawboy

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds