Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14591

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Of coarse replacing parts aill give you beter results that reusing, but to what degree? Why not just replace the entire engine? Were do you draw the line between repair and complete replacement?

I would be inclined to agree with you guys if the studs were commonly available, and if they were held in higher state of tension. The torque on them is very low and they have a very high L/D so there is lot of strain avaliable... they just are not that highly loaded to make me concerned. The issue brought up about corrosion is valid, but is it worth the trouble and possible damage to remove the old studs?
1981 KZ1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tyler.

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14593

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
At that point, I think it's up to a personal basis. Personally, I don't think it's worth it (and in fact, it's not something I did when I rebuilt my engine). If you have easy access to studs, and can afford it? Sure, go for it. If not? Unless you're building a racing engine, I find the amount of "real-world" advantages are just not that much.

(Keep in mind that my KZ1300 engine was the very first motor I've ever torn apart, so..... take that for what it's worth.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Crankcase Studs (should I replace) 7 years 6 months ago #14595

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Great feedback from everyone, really appreciate it. I think I will stick with the originals
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds