Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Head Gasket..Base Gasket as well? 7 years 11 months ago #11943

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Looking forward to your report. Interesting that you got the extra 1/4 turn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Gasket..Base Gasket as well? 7 years 9 months ago #12987

• charlie9670
  • charlie9670's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Report in , ran the retorqued engine up for 5 mins max with no cooling system and loosley fitted exhaust and got the oil weep back on the left of the head gasket :( hadn't really expected a miracle ,at least I hadn't put it all back together. On the plus side the water pump has new seals, oil seal fitted and no leak under pressure, and both sets of carbs I have just stripped ,thoroughly cleaned and put the cheap repair kits in fired straight up with no choke, ticked over and responded instantly with no airbox, half an exhaust and a bowlfull of petrol so I'm happy with the progress I've made. When I do the head and check everything I'm hoping it will run like a Swiss Watch..next report..in a while, hopefully before winter
PS, when it runs like the bike I want its down to the help I've got here, and by that time I can help others..if only the European Union worked this well :evil:
:) Z13 UK

Last edit: by charlie9670.

Head Gasket..Base Gasket as well? 7 years 9 months ago #12988

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Charlie- PLEASE tell me you didn't run the engine up without coolant in it. The mechanical seal in the water pump needs coolant to remove the heat created by the faces of the mechanical seal rubbing against each other. They're a lapped face down to 1 micron and they don't like being run dry.
Your oil leak, is it around the second stud in from the left on the front of the engine? If so, that's where the oil gallery is that feeds the camshaft bearings on the left side of the engine. You may have for some reason a blocked supply port and the oil pressure is trying to lift the cylinder head and causing the leak.

Head Gasket..Base Gasket as well? 7 years 9 months ago #12999

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I ran it without the mechanical seal just the new oilseal so I could check it didnt leak under pressure. The head gasket oil leak was directly under each of the outer spark plugs, it is the right hand side that immediately leaked again, the left is dry so maybe resealed but the head is coming off next so the fault will be revealed. I only ran the engine for a couple of minutes at a time until I thought it was starting to get hot, seemed to run sweet.

Head Gasket..Base Gasket as well? 7 years 9 months ago #13009

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
if the spark plugs are leaking its not the head gasket, could be a bad thread letting unburnt fuel past.
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Head Gasket..Base Gasket as well? 7 years 9 months ago #13010

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
No its out of the head gasket 2 inches below the spark plug :(

Last edit: by charlie9670.
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds