Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11878

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
It sounds like your in a bit of a mess here and I think a good mechanic that understands the differences between these models will be of great value to yourself (easier said than done), firstly park the head to one side if done that will fit both the 79 and 81. Then I think you need to be clear on which model you are trying to rebuild due to the differences in the electrical ignition system including potentially the loom. The pick ups and ATU fit on the right hand side of the barrels on the 79 and on the 81 within the left hand crankcase cover with the ATU being incorporated into the ignitor, IC ignitors are different on the 2 models.
Which Bottom end is still intact ??? Which set of barrels have you had rebored, hopefully you have in all, a 79 bottom end a 79 set of barrels with matching pistons due to re-bore noting the head will work on either the 79 or 81 and that you are trying to rebuild to the 79 thereby the ignition system ie IC ignitor and pickups along with loom all matching. This may sound confusing but I understand it in my mind. I think others need to offer advise on this without confusing the situation anymore than it is. Your other option is obviously to go and source another complete motor which can be reasonably priced in the USA/Canada and fit that. Using the rest of your parts (from the motor) by selling them to fund it. I feel for you due to you not being mechanically minded that you put your trust in others to be let down massively by god knows what they were. I seriously think if you don't have adequate assistance your easiest and probably your cheapest option is to source another motor and fit it with the assistance of your friend
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11879

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Ok. Thanks. So the barrels are different but we can swap the sleeves if it comes down to it.

Would be easier to swap my body parts, bars and brakes to the 81 or swap the engine from the 81 to the 79?

An update. My friend is coming out to see what is up with the 81. Enough parts are there so he could conceivably put the stuff back on it, check the compression and timing as well as try to get it started.

The fly in the ointment is the worn cam chain sprocket but he says we can worry about that once we determine what exactly caused that motor to stop running in the first place. I should have done that in the first place but the 79 came along and I put it all on hold.

I have two new cam chain sprockets as well as two gasket sets so we could actually fix that. One set I bought when the 81 shit the bed and I got the second set with the 79 along with the piston and ring kit.

I ended up with two cam chain sprockets because I ordered one months ago through the Kawi dealer and when it looked like it wasn't going to show I ordered a second one through the german guy. Two days later the other can chain sprocket showed up. Go figure.

This thing has been driving me to drink.

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11880

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Kawboy wrote: I feel your pain and frustration but I have to say, the road to restoration of 35 year old motorcycles is not as simple as tear it apart and replace the worn out pieces and down the road for another 50,000 miles. You've hit a couple of set backs on 2 motorcycles and maybe if you were dealing with just one then you'd be pissed but not ready to throw in the towel.

My suggestion would be to put the 79 off to one side for now and focus on the issues with the 81. It would seem that the chances of repairing the 81 at this point would/should be easier than trying to resurrect the 79. The work on the starter clutch shouldn't have caused the low compression unless by chance the camshaft timing chain was loose and it jumped a tooth. If that's the case, there's a strong possibility that there's a bent valve. You need to verify the valve timing.

I think maybe if you get the 81 running, it will help you find the patience to ressurect the 79. The engine's are not that complicated to work on, but you have to have patience when doing it for the first time. the service manual should suffice for the most part. i would also suggest you go to a site like Partszilla and get yourself exploded views of the parts for reference. That way you can verify that you've got all of the required pieces and put them in the right places.

If you've been following along with my build out of a 1980 you know that I too have been having my share of moments. Sent out a set of camshafts for grinding and the shop completely F....Ked them up. Now I'm looking for primary and secondary chains that are not Chinese and I've been trying to source all over the world with little success. For me, this project is a labour of love. If it takes me 10 years, so be it. The fun for me is overcoming defeat. I won't give in or settle for half best. Life is about the journey, not getting to the destination.

Thanks Kawboy.

I'm broken hearted because I have two bikes and can ride neither. Facing another summer without a bike was seriously putting me in a funk. I may not be making entirely logical decisions and I definitely thinking the worst.

Thanks for all of you trying to put it in perspective. Between that and some friends here I am starting to have hope again.

For the primary and secondary chain... have you tried either MCG in Germany or Zpower in the UK. I found the chains at both places, in stock. They are expensive. Please tell me they aren't selling chinese crap cahins at that price.

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11881

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Mark wrote: It sounds like your in a bit of a mess here and I think a good mechanic that understands the differences between these models will be of great value to yourself (easier said than done), firstly park the head to one side if done that will fit both the 79 and 81. Then I think you need to be clear on which model you are trying to rebuild due to the differences in the electrical ignition system including potentially the loom. The pick ups and ATU fit on the right hand side of the barrels on the 79 and on the 81 within the left hand crankcase cover with the ATU being incorporated into the ignitor, IC ignitors are different on the 2 models.
Which Bottom end is still intact ??? Which set of barrels have you had rebored, hopefully you have in all, a 79 bottom end a 79 set of barrels with matching pistons due to re-bore noting the head will work on either the 79 or 81 and that you are trying to rebuild to the 79 thereby the ignition system ie IC ignitor and pickups along with loom all matching. This may sound confusing but I understand it in my mind. I think others need to offer advise on this without confusing the situation anymore than it is. Your other option is obviously to go and source another complete motor which can be reasonably priced in the USA/Canada and fit that. Using the rest of your parts (from the motor) by selling them to fund it. I feel for you due to you not being mechanically minded that you put your trust in others to be let down massively by god knows what they were. I seriously think if you don't have adequate assistance your easiest and probably your cheapest option is to source another motor and fit it with the assistance of your friend

Thanks Mark.

The 81 bottom end is still intact and in the bike. The valve cover is off, the left side cover off, cam chain tensioner is off, as are the carbs. A few other pieces I may have missed but its largely intact.

The 79 motor is out and completely stripped and the case split. I have the 79 barrels bored with piston and ring kit, and the head is done. It just needs to be shimmed. The "mechanic" wanted to do that.

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11882

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
On that note I think you should strongly take Kawboys advice and concentrate on the A3(81), Put the A1 aside along with it's parts and re-assemble the A3. As said the head will fit both. Ensure Crank and Cam timing is spot on, then with your head correctly shimmed you should achieve compression unless there is another problem waiting in the wings.
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Can I use my 79 cylinder block and head on my 81? 8 years 1 week ago #11884

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
If you don't find out why the compression is low then you will just be causing yourself more problems. If you throw the towel in now you will just be giving somebody else a goodand cheap Z13 that probably needs in reality very little work.
I have seen this happen so many times. I bought a $12000 car a few months ago for $900 because it had zero compression and nobody knew how to fix it except by putting a new engine into it. It cost me 3 litres of oil and a set of plugs and I have a 2000 model 750 V12 BMW with 67000 KMS in near perfect condition.
Dont give up
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds