Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Help id engine 7 years 11 months ago #11801

• Don_Karlos
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I found this thread and was wondering if there are really no differences in the cam shafts of the different models. I just bought a complete head for my Z1300 (European model) with carbs. The Engine has the pick up on the right side of the crank shaft though it should be a 1982 Engine. The old head is done and I got the new one with only 12000mls on it for nothing :-) Now I have the same questions as the starter of this thread. First thing I see is that the exhaust cam has no! tachometer gear!!(like in the first picture) My old one has one. Second difference is, that the profile of the new cam is much sharper than the old one. It looks like if the old one keeps the valve longer open. The new one is more slim and therfore the valves are not open as long as with the old one. Other than that I don't see any differences. I put the engine together today and will start it with carbs maybe tomorrow. Let's see how it runs :-) Any ideas how to convert the tachometer to an electronic one (since there is no gear on the cam shaft....)
Thanks
Karl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help id engine 7 years 11 months ago #11810

• Kwakanuk
  • Kwakanuk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Karl,
You are right the cams are different bettwen Kz and Zn engines. What is the serial number on your engine?
You will probably want to read the FAQ in the Timing sections. It gives a good description on the cams, compression ratio and power output.
What I know so far, cylinder head are the same, cylinder block is the same. Pistons and cams are different.
Pistons shape will probably explain the diffence in compression ratios.

I would really like to know the result in firing up you engine. Please keep us (me) informed on your results.
Gpz 750 Turbo 1984, Gpz 750 Turbo 1985, KZ 1300 1981.

Help id engine 7 years 11 months ago #11813

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
With regard to the tacho it may be possible to use the inards of an after market unit like the cafe racer mob use and graft it into the original Kawasaki housing, they pick up signal from the coil.

That blank place where the ignition pickups were looks like it may be a good place to mount a slim alternator like the FJR 1300 Yamahas have in the same position.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Help id engine 7 years 11 months ago #11820

• Don_Karlos
No Progress today:-( I have a carb problem- see new post.
Karl

Help id engine 7 years 11 months ago #12167

• Don_Karlos
@ Kwakanuk:
I can tell you, that the engine start perfectly and is running smooth. Since I rarely rode my bike in the past 4 years and can't remember if it was ever better! I feel no difference. The problem is only the rev meter. I'm working on an electronic conversion....
Karl

Attachments:

Help id engine 7 years 11 months ago #12176

• Kwakanuk
  • Kwakanuk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Karl, that is great news. It should give more low end torque and less top end. This is what i' m aiming for.
I will be starting my bike rebuilt soon.I'm waiting for parts. I will use a complete Zn cylinder head on my 1981 Zx.

Did you had issues with ingnition timing at all?

Thanks
Gpz 750 Turbo 1984, Gpz 750 Turbo 1985, KZ 1300 1981.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds