Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Timing Chain fell out of Engine :-( 8 years 2 months ago #11128

• Don_Karlos
  • Don_Karlos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I know that this topic is not suited to build my reputation in this forum but I need help :-)
I rebuilt the top end of my engine and when I tried the old "pull the timing chain with the old one thru the Engine" I ended up with the timing chains disconnected in the engine. This made me pull out both sides and now I'm wondering if I have to pull the engine to get the chain in from below or if there is a way to get in back in from the Top. What I already saw with an endoscope is that there is a small but rigid "nose" of aluminum under the crankshaft right over the place where I would have to pull the chain thru:-( Any suggestions beside throwing myself in the river in front of my house?
Thanks
Karl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing Chain fell out of Engine :-( 8 years 2 months ago #11129

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Oof. I'd have to look at my notes from my rebuild, but one or two things

First, you're not going to wrap the timing chain around the crankshaft. It gets run by a secondary shaft, directly behind the crankshaft. This kicks the chain back pretty far. You may have to remove the bores to really get at it from the top. As for getting to it from the bottom, you may be able to. Again, let me check my stuff.

Second, the timing chain is meant to be one "endless" piece, and normally the only way to replace it is to split the cases.. I'm curious to know what kind of chain you're replacing it with?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Torque59

Timing Chain fell out of Engine :-( 8 years 2 months ago #11130

• Don_Karlos
Hi,
the replacement timing chain is for an example D.I.D SC-0412. You need 158 chain links (buy a little longer and cut it to length). Important is that you need the exact same chain link lock. The lock has to be riveted. This is a quite simple task. You need a heavy hammer and a lighter one together with a punch with a flat head. Back the lock up with the heavy hammer and hit the lock pin with the punch at the 3 and 9 position a little flat. That's it. One important note: the original timing chain has pins with diameter 2.96mm from factory. From what I know and what Company MCG (Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. www.Z1300.de) told me there are no more chains produced with these pins. Now the pins are 2.6mm! Don't worry:-) MCG knows what they are talking about and they also sell chains with 2.6mm pins...

You can buy these "morse" chains from whichever supplier you want.
Usually the pull thru method is fool proofed.....s..happens.
Greetings
Karl

Timing Chain fell out of Engine :-( 8 years 2 months ago #11131

• rickster
  • Thank you received: 5
I have used mig wire to get the chain back in to position you can bend it to shape then put throught open link tie it arond and drag it back but thats on other motors never tried it on these motors

Timing Chain fell out of Engine :-( 8 years 2 months ago #11136

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Simple !

Just drop the sump and you can see it easily from there.

Easy to drop a wire from the top and pull it back up.

No need to remove anything else.............especially the bores !!!!!

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Timing Chain fell out of Engine :-( 8 years 2 weeks ago #11790

• Don_Karlos
Ok,
it is possible to pull a new timing chain thru the engine around the sproket with a fishing line and some patience :-) I did it....
Thanks for you support.
Karl

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds