Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hi all, did the cam chain idler pulley 8 years 3 months ago #10663

• kza13
  • kza13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Hi all, well i'm on my 4 weeks annual vacation here in sunny Queensland Australia, so a good time to pull the head off and change over the cam chain cog to the new metal one I got a while ago, also did the valve stem seals while the head was off. It went reasonably well, only dropped one little thing down inside the motor, one of the little rubber blocks on the idler cog shaft end, hate doing the valve stem seals as I always have trouble with the collets, anyone got a good tip on how to do them easily or a photo of what valve spring compressor you use ??, I made up a bit of a crap one, does the job but not easily, anyway the old cog has been in the bike for a couple of years now, probably for 15 to 20 thousand kilometres, and with the replacement tensioner from the 1100 (or what ever it is)with the spring cut down, i'll add photos, still have to check the shims, put it all back together and run it and re-tension the head bolts, also if anyone wants to see the timing on the cam chain i'll add a photo of that. Ok fingers crossed all continues to go ok, can't handle too many stuff up's. getting too old and shaky for this again, cheers Pete.

after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi all, did the cam chain idler pulley 8 years 3 months ago #10666

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
Good work, Pete. Thanks for the detailed photos. I'll be doing the same job once the sun returns to the northern hemisphere.

Made several trips to Australia. Queensland was always my favorite part of your wonderful country.

Last edit: by globemaster. Reason: grammer error

Hi all, did the cam chain idler pulley 8 years 3 months ago #10667

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok I bit the bullet and spent some of my holiday pay, bought a "proper" valve spring compressor tool that "should" fit my valves, car ones just don't have enough room to get into the angle of the valves, well they do but it's a real bitc*

Attachments:

Hi all, did the cam chain idler pulley 8 years 3 months ago #10668

• rob
  • Thank you received: 12
Where abouts in queensland are you. Me and my brother are in Parkridge, Brisbane and we have 6 x 1300 between us. Some obviously need to be rebuilt. We should meet meet up at some stage and share info or just go riding, the more the merrier
Cheers
Rob

Hi all, did the cam chain idler pulley 8 years 3 months ago #10675

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi mate, i'm in Ipswich, the old stuffed knee from a bike smash many years ago slows me down going on long rides, have to stop often to pop a few pain killers and have a smoke :-), most people I know with bikes don't want to ride with an old guy who has a bike with a "training wheel" (sidecar), although the old girl would give them a run for their money :-), she isn't pretty on the outside, bit of a rat bike, but pretty doesn't mean good :-)

Hi all, did the cam chain idler pulley 8 years 3 months ago #10681

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

kza13 wrote: Ok I bit the bullet and spent some of my holiday pay, bought a "proper" valve spring compressor tool that "should" fit my valves, car ones just don't have enough room to get into the angle of the valves, well they do but it's a real bitc*

Funny thing I just ordered a similar set before xmas Pete
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds