Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Magneto Puller 8 years 4 months ago #10268

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I'm having trouble removing the starter motor clutch assembly. I have removed the torsion damper mounting bolt but have failed to perform any McGyver tricks to remove the assembly.

Does anyone know if the Magneto Puller has a thread in the middle where the rotor puller goes through?

Or does the magneto puller just stop the crank from turning?

1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Magneto Puller 8 years 4 months ago #10270

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I don't have this tool nor have I seen it BUT there are several listed on EBay and one of them suggests that it's a M18X1.5 thread. Obviously it's been hardened in order to do it's job. I would imagine any of the automotive tool stores would be able to bring one in for you. It's a fairly common size for a number of different applications. EBay lists it for $8.95.

Have a look in the center of your mag and see if you can see the internal thread. The tool should screw into the mag and be pushing on the end of the crank.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Magneto Puller 8 years 4 months ago #10281

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks Kawboy, I have ordered one of these just yesterday.

Being a novice, I wasn't sure if the magneto puller was required to help pull the assembly off. i.e A thread in the magneto puller theoretically would end up pushing it against the three bolts therefore helping to pull off assembly.

What I am understanding from your post (rightly or wrongly?) is the rotor puller is all that's required?

Sadly, I tried to remove the assembly using a piece of round steel inserted into the internal thread and leaving enough thread to allow the mounting bolt to be screwed in. Then I tightened the mounting bolt figuring that would pop the whole lot off. Well it didn't and now I have a slightly squashed piece of round steel stuck in the thread (I can hear you say 'did you not use hardened steel?' Nope! :( )

Example I used

So now I am looking at possibly having to remove the sidecar :sick: so that I can somehow remove 'my stuff-up'. At this stage I don't think I have done any damage to the thread - fingers crossed. My eagerness and lack of knowledge have combined to unsettle me once again.

Last edit: by Yaegunp. Reason: update

Magneto Puller 8 years 4 months ago #10291

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Kawboy wrote: Have a look in the center of your mag and see if you can see the internal thread. The tool should screw into the mag and be pushing on the end of the crank.

I may be guilty of f%$^ing the whole lot up. When you say internal thread does that mean there is a smaller thread inside where the mounting bolt goes in? If the answer to this is yes then I am guilty of what I said before and I can't for the life of me see a way I can retrieve the situation.

I think I know now how you (Kawboy) felt when you unwrapped your camshaft. I feel quite sick! :sick:

Magneto Puller 8 years 3 months ago #10293

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I wish someone else who's actually done this job would step in here and help you out Paul, but it appears that it's just you and I having a conversation here. I feel like the blind leading the blind but I'll try to make sense of this with you.

One of the tools I use when trying to help others on the site out is the electronic copy of the manual on the site and the search engine in the pdf to find "key words" In this case I did a search for "magneto puller " trying to find the picture you posted in the first post.

That being said, I found pics of the magneto puller and the rotor puller on pages 273 and 274 of the manual and when I blow the pics up to 200% I can see the magneto puller is a 3 legged puller that bolts onto the magneto and IT has an internal thread that the rotor puller threads into. The rotor puller will be pushing against the end of the crank pushing the magneto puller and magneto off of the crank. The crank has a taper on it as does the magneto so this assembly is going to come of with a substantial force and then bang or crack or snap (put your favorite word here), it will fall off.

I know that sick feeling your having but in this case I think you're ok. Ideally it would be nice to use the designed tools but I wouldn't hesitate using a 3 legged puller similar to what we call a steering wheel puller and bolt it to the magneto with 3 bolts in the face of the mag, I guessing that there is 3 threaded 6mm holes on the face of the mag
so 3 6mm x 30 or 35 mm bolts then screw the puller bolt in against the end of the crank and get about 20-30 lbs of torque on it then give it a crack on the end of the puller bolt with a hammer as shown in your pic on the first post. Be prepared to catch the puller and mag assembly because when it pops, it will literally hit the ground if you're not prepared to catch it.
Just 1 word of caution, you used a piece of steel on the end of your previous set up and might have marked up the mag bore. Maybe find a slightly smaller piece of steel to do this with just in case that piece is a little too big and is jamming up on the rotor, otherwise I think you're ok. Oh, and before I forget, that puller tool I originally posted won't do you any good in this case now that I see the exploded pic of the mag puller on page 273. Sorry for the confusion. Like I said "the blind leading the blind" but if no one else is going to step up here and give you thoughts to ponder then I will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Magneto Puller 8 years 3 months ago #10296

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks heaps John for endeavoring to sort me out much appreciated

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds