Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Exhaust to Head Leaks 8 years 4 months ago #10068

• Medlock1
  • Medlock1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello,

Any help appreciated. In the process of installing the exhaust with new crush rings the collars were tight, but there was still considerable movement in the pipe. Are there oversized crush rings available or?? I noticed the last owner had stuff some fiberglass substance around a few collars. Thank You.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exhaust to Head Leaks 8 years 4 months ago #10069

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I suspect the back half of your pipe may be mounted too low and as you tighten up the collars, you're crushing the seal rings on the top half and not on the full circumference. I'd carefully pull off the collars and have a look at the rings and see if in fact they're not crushed evenly.
You might try mounting the pipes without the rear half of the exhaust system in place, then locate the rear half and see if the mounting bolt hole for the rear half lines up with the frame mount location.

Lots of guys have been having trouble with the exhaust mounting. Usually it's the aftermarket stuff that needs some tweeking to get it right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Medlock1

Exhaust to Head Leaks 8 years 4 months ago #10070

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
In behind the "collars" are 2 x 1/2 sleeves for each pipe, these pull down on the lip on the pipe and push it onto the crush rings, with my '79 the 2 outside sleeves are a tad shorter than the other 4, don't mix them up, with the sleeves in they should clamp down firm
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Exhaust to Head Leaks 8 years 4 months ago #10071

• Medlock1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Kawboy, I can run it briefly, note the location of the leaks, and check the crush rings. Didn't think of the elevation of the rear of the header, my one bad leak is at noon on one cylinder.

Exhaust to Head Leaks 8 years 4 months ago #10072

• Medlock1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks KZA13, did not realize these 1/2's could vary, have to be at least part of the issue.

Exhaust to Head Leaks 8 years 4 months ago #10078

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Interesting issue and several good comments. When I had the stock exhaust I did not notice any difference in the width of the 1/2 collars but that doesn't mean they didn't differ. However I do remember clearly that I did not register any sets of mounting hardware to any specific cyl. Installation of the DG was similar and I've had if off several times over the years. I used what ever collars I picked up out of the tray they were in. I did not keep them referenced to any specific cly. How the 1/2's are installed is crucial as the manual will suggest and as dictated by their asymmetric shape. I used "scotch-tape" (no pun intended) to keep the 1/2's in place for mounting. The tape has no affect on anything other then your patience being far less taxed !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds