Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Head Gasket set, which to buy? 8 years 5 months ago #9976

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
I'll post here, might cause some "discussion" but here goes, I did a rebuild on mine, I used an after market head gasket, no problems at all, of course I did make sure the head was machined flat, but I followed a tip my dad gave me, he was a mechanic for many a year, and when ever he did a head he painted the head gasket with the silver paint (aluminium) that you put on a tin roof, he pained both sides and then tensioned the head down, he never had a leak, the paint allows a bit of movement when positioning and then the aluminium sticks the whole gasket, worked for him and it works for me, so I just keep doing it on every engine I do be it a lawn mower or a V8, just thought I'd mention it, cheers Pete.
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
The following user(s) said Thank You: trikebldr, charlie9670

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Gasket set, which to buy? 8 years 5 months ago #9983

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Comitec will cut a gasket for the 1300 for about $80 if you call them up. Not sure what about their international locations, or what shipping from the US costs. The quality is excellent. I had to have a custom gasket made with larger fire rings, but if I did a stock engine I would not hesitate to use their part again.

If you buy an OEM gasket, take the factory sealant off from around the water jacket ports and run a bead of three-bond sealant round them. This will ensure it won't leak, the OEM gaskets are getting old...
1981 KZ1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie9670

Head Gasket set, which to buy? 8 years 3 months ago #10725

• charlie9670
  • charlie9670's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
I've got a Kawasaki head gasket for £75 and taken on board advice on sealing waterways to make it right first time. I will buy a full gasket set with valve stem seals to make sure I have everything for the job. In the UK Athena set is around £135 and unamed brand £115 ,the US seems to have under £100, any tips as spending more doesn't always mean better quality?
:) Z13 UK

Head Gasket set, which to buy? 8 years 3 months ago #10727

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
I've used Athena gaskets with no problems at all as they are good quality but I would always use the original Kawasaki gasket for the head - no point spending money then having to take the head off in six months if/when you get the dreaded water leak. Sealing around the waterways is an option but you need to be very careful not to block any with the silicone or you'll have even more problems.

cheers

Head Gasket set, which to buy? 8 years 3 months ago #10729

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
I used Athena head gaskets when I rebuilt my old '77 GL1000.

Both of them blew in less than 200 miles.

Not a Kawasaki, to be sure, but still.... buyer beware.

Head Gasket set, which to buy? 8 years 3 months ago #10731

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Definitely the Kawasaki head gasket every time. And you shouldn't have to seal the water passages as Kawasaki used a silicone bead around them on the genuine gasket, which aftermarket gasket makers are unable to replicate, hence the water leaks with them. For every other gasket it's fine to use aftermarket.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds