• Petez13
  • Petez13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,
Has anyone got any suggestions, I previously asked about what's involved
in removing the water pump impeller.
I've been trying for hours to remove the bloody thing but its really stuck on.
I made up a puller similar to someone else has made on this site, it's ended up bent and eventualy broken. I've even managed to chip off bit of the impeller.
You could probably hang the bike from the roof with the impeller and it still wouldn't come off.
am I best getting a new impeller and driving a sharp screwdriver into the old one??

Any ideas please. Thanks Pete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #10011

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
just a thought, like it shows in the video drill a couple of holes through the impeller and put a bolt through with a nut behind and gently tighten the bolts to act as pullers. maybe gently tap the end of the shaft once you have a bit of tension on the bolts. wouldnt want to be doing to much twisting and banging though because of the plastic gears inside.
or as you say, drill the old one off and get a new one.
just a thought.
Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #10012

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
I would warm the impeller up with a little heat from a propane torch for maybe 20 seconds and be prepared to pull it with a couple of needle nose vice grips. The aluminum of the impeller will grow in diameter more than the shaft and it should allow the impeller to come off. And just in case some previous owner put some threadlocking fluid on the parts, the heat will soften up the threadlocker. Great tip when someone uses permanent threadlocking fluid on a part you need to remove as part of maintenance.

Good luck.

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #10014

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
...and if by some unfortunate chance you break yours, I've got at least one spare, maybe two, that I have no need for.

Just don't break the shaft. THAT requires a full top end teardown to fix...

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #10015

• Petez13
  • Petez13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks once again,
I should be used to it by now as just about every job I do on this bike never seems to go straight forward lol, its a good job I'm nuts about my z13,,
Anyway I thought about drilling and threading the impeller but I'm convinced that it's so stuck on it will rip the threads out, it not as if I can get a nut on the other side of the impeller.
I also thought about heating up but not sure if the heat would distort the impeller, the main problem being the ceramic seal needs to sit perfectly straight ( me being paranoid ) but might try it anyway.
another thing I'm worried about is what's the best way to dig out the oil seal without damaging the shaft sealing surface.
and last while I'm hear, one of you guys suggested using yamabond or similar which I've never used, basically should I use a non harding paste or a silicone type??
I think you can tell I don't want any problems once the job is done lol.
thanks guys, Pete.
P.s. Thnx for the offer of the impeller, hope won't need it :)

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #10016

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Far as I can tell, the oil seal on the water pump shaft is identical (apart from size) to the seal used on the shifter shaft- a rubber seal mounted on a plastic (and possibly metal) base. You can try picking at it from the edges, but I've had good success drilling a small hole, running in a wood screw to grab it, and pulling it straight out. Just don't run the drill too deep (do this by hand) otherwise you'll put a hole in the case. The sealing surface is the shaft itself, so if you don't damage that, you'll be fine.

The impeller seal comes in two pieces, one you have to replace in the engine, the other on the rear of the impeller. The only issue to it sealing would be if you warp the impeller with too much heat, which would be pretty hard to do. Heat isn't necessarily for making the impeller physically larger to be able to pull it off- it's more for breaking whatever seal is currently between the impeller and the shaft. A little bit will go a long way.

As far as the Yamabond goes, it's a pretty common sealer, and nearly any motorcycle shop should have some. Hondabond or Threebond is the exact same stuff. Not sure of the technical term for it, other than it's a liquid gasket type material.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds