Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #9552

• Petez13
  • Petez13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Can anyone tell me roughly how long it will take from start to finish to replace the water pump seal,

Also any tips or things to watch out for,   I’ve seen a photo of a homemade impeller puller,  are the impellers likely to break if seized on?

Any info would be great,

Thanks Pete,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #9554

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Pete,

How long? When I did it I would guess 4 to 6 hours. I pulled my impeller using two needle nose vicegrips. Be forewarned the vanes on the impeller are VERY brittle. I was successful, no damage to the impeller.
Things to watch out for: Don't let the but end of the vice grip doink the back side of the front fender when the darn thing decides to come loose.
Good Luck
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #9556

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
4 to 6 sounds about right. I was able to swap mine out in an afternoon.

• A special impeller puller isn't usually necessary, unless the engine has sat for a LOOOOONG time. Even then, I pulled the impeller on an engine that had set, and it still came off pretty easily.
  • You WILL need some type of liquid gasket compound. Yamabond/Hondabond/etc. This is used between the seal and the holder, and between the holder and the engine.
  • In addition to the mechanical seal, there's also an o-ring between the lower impeller housing and the block, along with the two o-rings on the bypass tube. They can probably be re-used, but they aren't too expensive if you want to replace them as well. There's also a small o-ring on the end of the water pump shaft- again, might be able to to be re-used, but may as well replace it if you can get to it.
  • You'll need a pair of pliers to remove the circlip holding the impeller on.
  • Behind the mechanical seal is an oil seal where the impeller shaft goes into the crankcase. This is an excellent time to replace this as well, if you're having issues.
  • There are a pair of Phillips screws that are probably frozen. An impact driver REALLY helps here. Otherwise, smack the top of them with a correctly sized punch and hammer to break them loose, then use a screwdriver to remove them.

Overall, it's not a bad job. Despite the list, it's actually a pretty straightforward and easy job. Good luck!

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #9563

• Petez13
  • Petez13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks Guys for the info,
All the engines I've had apart before have always been air cooled so this is a first time to replace a MECHANICAL seal. I've just read up a bit on the idea behind them working, So my question is, do I need to use any special lubricant on the shaft and seal, and do they leak a little before its run in for a while??

Thanks Pete.

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #9564

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
I put mine on dry. The main thing is to keep the ceramic to ceramic seal (one in the back of the impeller, one on the housing) as clean as possible.

It should seal right away, or very soon after it's put in. Keep an eye on the weep hole, but my problems cleared up nearly immediately.

All I need to know about replacing waterpump seal 8 years 5 months ago #9569

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
found this, crap music and crap video but it gives you an idea of what you will be doing..

Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds