Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Installing a manual cam chain tensioner. 10 years 1 month ago #2190

• slidewayes
  • Thank you received: 0
when you cut the spring it well only increase the spring rate

"The spring is a bit too stout and the common wisdom is to shorten it by about 10 MM."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by slidewayes.

Installing a manual cam chain tensioner. 10 years 1 month ago #2191

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
don't forget to add cam chain adjustment to your periodic maintenance.

When manual cam chain tensioners were in vogue, owners often neglected them, in turn cam chain guides, sprockets, and slipped timing ensued.

The automatic tensioner takes all of the hassle out of this process. I would strongly recommend any members considering a new tensioner go the ZX-11 route.

I know of one factory manual tensioner that ate a hole in the cylinder block by slapping around too much. A bit of neglect I'd say.

Most adjusters were tighten with the engine running until you heard the clatter, then turn in the 1/4 turn. (At least that was the way my Honda manual was written) 1978 CB400

The clattering part always made me nervous while it was running (provided you did not back it out too far) It never slipped time or came apart.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Installing a manual cam chain tensioner. 10 years 1 month ago #2195

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356

slidewayes wrote: when you cut the spring it well only increase the spring rate

"The spring is a bit too stout and the common wisdom is to shorten it by about 10 MM."

I dont understand the comment "It will only increase the spring rate" ????
By that do you mean it will increase the strength of the spring if you SHORTEN IT ???

The spring inside the ZX11 camchain tensioner is compressed inside the body of the tensioner.
The only way it can de-compress is to push the shaft out against the adjuster inside the engine.
If you cut 10mm off the overall length of the spring, it is then LESS compressed so does not have as much strength as the longer spring ????

Interested to hear your justification & logic ?

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Installing a manual cam chain tensioner. 10 years 1 month ago #2196

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
When you compress a coil spring you are in effect twisting the wire the spring is made from through an arc and it is easier to twist a long piece of spring wire than a short piece.
However by cutting some coils from a spring you effectively shorten its travel and effectiveness but you do make the spring stronger because it takes more force to move it through a certain range.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Installing a manual cam chain tensioner. 10 years 1 month ago #2197

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Ok,

This is confusing me now.

So what you are saying is by shortening a spring, you make it stronger ?

So if I cut my fork springs by 1 inch .......my front forks will be stiffer ???

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Installing a manual cam chain tensioner. 10 years 1 month ago #2199

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

RickG wrote: When you compress a coil spring you are in effect twisting the wire the spring is made from through an arc and it is easier to twist a long piece of spring wire than a short piece.
However by cutting some coils from a spring you effectively shorten its travel and effectiveness but you do make the spring stronger because it takes more force to move it through a certain range.

It's true that if a shorter spring is forced to compress the same amount (percentage) as a longer spring each coil of that spring is forced to work harder. However I do not agree that cutting 10mm off of a ZX11 CTT spring results in a net increase of force felt by the cam chain. But I'm open to learn, tell me about it.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds