Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Starter Motor 8 years 7 months ago #9071

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
If I remember right the brush end of the Honda starter is different, but think you can swap ends, but like you i'm over 60 and every time I learn something new I forget something else, I think my brain is full of too much "trivia" (insert crap for trivia) :-), electric reverse !!! holy smoke what my poor old legs wouldn't give for that, but too hard to put it on the DJP hub, or at least it's too difficult for me :-), cheers
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kza13.

Starter Motor 8 years 7 months ago #9100

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Yaegunp wrote: Looks like a need a new starter motor. Have cleaned it up and checked brushes and tested with a fully charged battery and nothing happens except a spark. I can easily turn it with my fingers so I figure I have toasted it somehow. Anyways I found this starter on the internet and was wondering if anybody had information on them in terms of fitting into a 1983 Z1300 A5?

Starter Motor on Ebay

Ok I tested the starter motor as described in the service manual. Results were: -

• Depth of grooves between commutator segments - On the limit but suspect
  • Resistance between 2 commutator segments - Pass .0L
  • Resistance between the commutator and shaft - Pass .0L
  • Resistance between the + side carbon brush and starter motor terminal - Pass .0L
  • Resistance between the + side carbon brush and and yoke - Fail 180.4 and climbing

The fail suggests the coils are shorted to ground and the yoke needs to be replaced. I have taken a blind leap of faith and ordered the starter motor from eBay, I'll let you know how it turns out although it could be 3 weeks before it arrives.

1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Starter Motor 8 years 7 months ago #9274

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Yaegunp wrote:

Yaegunp wrote: Looks like a need a new starter motor. Have cleaned it up and checked brushes and tested with a fully charged battery and nothing happens except a spark. I can easily turn it with my fingers so I figure I have toasted it somehow. Anyways I found this starter on the internet and was wondering if anybody had information on them in terms of fitting into a 1983 Z1300 A5?

Starter Motor on Ebay

Ok I tested the starter motor as described in the service manual. Results were: -

• Depth of grooves between commutator segments - On the limit but suspect
  • Resistance between 2 commutator segments - Pass .0L
  • Resistance between the commutator and shaft - Pass .0L
  • Resistance between the + side carbon brush and starter motor terminal - Pass .0L
  • Resistance between the + side carbon brush and and yoke - Fail 180.4 and climbing

The fail suggests the coils are shorted to ground and the yoke needs to be replaced. I have taken a blind leap of faith and ordered the starter motor from eBay, I'll let you know how it turns out although it could be 3 weeks before it arrives.

Starter Motor arrived today and it looks pretty good as far as I can tell. I have not installed it yet but here are some photos of the unit.

1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds