• Page:

TOPIC:

Starter Clutch Query ??? 8 years 8 months ago #8534

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Guys: I am a novice when it comes to engines so please bear with me on this :)
I replaced my starter clutch assembly 15 months ago, all was good and she still starts on the button, however whilst I was out the other day and riding in crawling traffic I heard an intermittent noise coming from the starter motor: almost as if it was re-engaging ! Nothing horrific, almost as if the starter was spinning up.
When I start the bike all sounds OK ?? but when riding I sometimes get the dreaded noise :S

I took the side cover off and there was no sign of carnage, but the large stater clutch gear will no longer "free wheel" in one direction as it should (I forget it it should free wheel clock wise or counter clock wise). I have the correct spacers / thrust washers etc. new starter clutch assy., so am at a loss as to why it wont free wheel.

Before I start stripping it down, has anyone any tips as to what might be going on ???

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter Clutch Query ??? 8 years 8 months ago #8535

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
It could be a faulty starter switch and it’s making intermittent contact. The starter switch on mine sometimes doesn’t disengage when I let it go.
Z1300 UK

Starter Clutch Query ??? 8 years 8 months ago #8558

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
McZed, thanks - I've had the switch gear apart, but all looks fine and good in operation: gave it a good clean whilst I had it in pieces though.
Just not sure why the main gear wheel has "nipped up" for no obvious reason - I'll be stripping it down in the next day or two, fingers crossed it will be an easy fix.

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Starter Clutch Query ??? 8 years 6 months ago #9498

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Tim,
I can no longer deny that my starter clutch is in need of replacement. I was looking over the manual and I see that several special tools are called for. Did you find that the special tools are necessary? I'm pretty good at fabricating most anything I need tool wise. What did you use to pull the damper off of the crank?
Thanks in advance.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Starter Clutch Query ??? 8 years 6 months ago #9507

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Bill, I am seriously devoid of any engineering skills, so my mate kindly took pitty on me and fabricated a couple of tools to replicate the Rotor Holder & Puller shown in the Kwak Service Manual (I think he just tried to copy those shown on page 345)

I am sure you can quickly knock something up, but here are some pics of the items: the Rotor Puller was just a length of bar with a nut welded in situ: pretty sure it was 16mm right hand thread, but cant recall what the the thread pitch was :oops:

I know they work as (sadly) they have been used more than once :whistle: :whistle:

Cheers Tim

PS I got so that fed up with Starter Motor gremlins, that I now have a spare unit (and sub-rotor) on my work bench, ready for the next time !
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tonto.

Starter Clutch Query ??? 8 years 6 months ago #9508

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Thanks Tim,
My starter clutch on the 1300 is failing differently that other Kawasaki starter clutches I have repaired, three so far. The starter will engage but if even one cylinder sputters the clutch looses it's hold and the starter just freewheels until it spins down, ending with a couple of noisy clacks. The only hope I have of getting the motor to start is a clean start right from the first revolution. Oh Well, I suppose this is my opportunity to put it onto the stand and go through several projects this winter.
In the process I'll fab up the necessary tools. After I'm done with them, I'll have them for loan if any body else has need of them. If, by chance any body has the actual Kawasaki tools/holders, please post up some pictures to add to Tim's examples.
Regards
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds