Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Won't start. Very low compression. 8 years 7 months ago #8603

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
No, we did not get to check the compression a second time. We dumped the oil down the hole and took the valve cover off to take a peak and this is when we made the chain slip.

We also removed the cam chain tensioner and the what looks like the idler tensioner.

So at this point, we should put it back together, set the timing and then check the compression?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Won't start. Very low compression. 8 years 7 months ago #8606

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
The second tensioner you removed (right next to the cam chain tensioner) is for a chain that runs a secondary shaft, which in turn runs the water pump and (if yours is pre-1983ish) the ignition pickups. Don't worry about that one- the only reason you should have to mess with it is if you take the bores off, which is several steps more complicated than just removing the head.

But yes, first thing is get the timing set, the tensioner in, and do another compression test with oil in the pistons. This should generally tell you if your rings are shot, and should be done before the head comes off. If compression numbers come up with the oil, it's bad rings. If not, the rings are fine, and you've got some other problem.

Won't start. Very low compression. 8 years 7 months ago #8610

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Mine is an 81. One less thing to worry about for now.

Ok. So use the gear as it is for now. Put things back together and get the timing set to do the compression test. In the meantime I will order the gear.

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds