Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Starter Clutch Repair Help 8 years 8 months ago #8345

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
So I have my parts and I am getting ready to attempt to repair my starter clutch.

I looked in the FAQ and elsewhere for a step by step but couldn't find one. Wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction? I've never attempted this kind of repair so any help or advise will be appreciated!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter Clutch Repair Help 8 years 8 months ago #8347

• AERIAL0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sorry not able to help. But do you have a manual? If not you should be able to download from the site. A more experienced member will chirp in and point you in the wright direction at some time.

Last edit: by AERIAL0.

Starter Clutch Repair Help 8 years 8 months ago #8349

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I do have a service manual but I wanted to get a few tips from people who have done this before I get it apart and mess it up lol.

Starter Clutch Repair Help 8 years 8 months ago #8352

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Hi, its a while since I did mine on my A1, probably not much use to you but from what I remember:

a) check and double check the torque settings stated in the manual.
b) on my A1 I needed a rotor holder and puller to get the sub-alterntor off - my that was fun :unsure: !
c) large bolt mounted on the end of the crank will be Left Hand thread - I struggled to achieve the stated torque as when fully tightened it prevented my starter clutch gear from "free wheeling" and locked it up, so I ran with 5 ft-lb less than specified
d) the 3 small allen screws in the Starter Motor Clutch will need loctite or other thread lock on them: mine had come lose as previous owner failed to lock/seal them.
e) my old unit was missing a spacer/thrust washer that should sit between the gear and the sub-alterntor: worth checking nothing is missing on your existing set up.

Good luck - if I could manage it I'm sure you'll be fine. ;)

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

Last edit: by Tonto.

Starter Clutch Repair Help 8 years 8 months ago #8355

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Tim. Now I need to figure out what a rotor holder and puller is and where I can get one.

I bought a torque wrench today. On sale from $144 for $59. Now I need to learn to use it lol

Starter Clutch Repair Help 8 years 8 months ago #8363

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
After opening up the case I think I may be in over my head.

My problem is also getting worse. Most times the starter will either only engage briefly or often not at all. Makes a horrible sound while doing so. Starter won't engage long enough to fire the bike.

To make matters worse my starter switch is done. I can only get it to work by tapping on the case while holding the starter button down. I tried some contact cleaner but it only made it worse. I guess that needs to come apart as well... if repairable at all.

Does my stator need to come out of the cover or can I work around it. I'm not sure if I want to mess with that.

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds