Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Best Way to Break Engine Loose? 8 years 11 months ago #7289

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
I would buy the big bore kit and have the cylinder block bored clean. Pick up a few more ponies that way, too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best Way to Break Engine Loose? 8 years 11 months ago #7290

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
The corrosion is too far into those liners for a 2mm overbore to fix. Plus with that much water you have to be concerned that out may have been stored in a puddle our salvaged from a bike that was on its side in a scrap yard. If there is water in the bottom end that one is unfortunately a gonner... pull the oil pan of you haven't already.

Its just the number 3 cylinder, then that one had an intake valve open. You can replace the liner. Right now the overbore kits from germany are kind of a good deal in the us with exchange rate being what it is. I would be tempted to pick up a set from him. Stay away from the Chinese pistons on ebay...
1981 KZ1300

Last edit: by Tyler.

Best Way to Break Engine Loose? 8 years 11 months ago #7291

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Much as I'd love to bore the snot out of this thing, I've already dumped enough money into this thing. There's a set of bores on Ebay right now that I'm looking at that seem to be pretty clean. I've got the seller taking pictures, but if it's in better shape than mine, I may just buy that, hone it, and use the (standard) piston rings I've already got (brand new). If I can get it to my house for less than 100 bucks, that's cheaper than sending ANYTHING I have to a machine shop.

As for the bottom end, I'm really just going to have to trust it. I REALLY can't afford to rebuild that. Not after basically giving up on a whole other engine. Not ideal, I know, but I can only do so much.

Last edit: by Lucien-Harpress.

Best Way to Break Engine Loose? 8 years 11 months ago #7292

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
You realy should take the oil pan off, just have a look. If its just oil your probably good to go, if there is rust and water down there you dont want to dump any money into top end...

If you have rings then finding a cylinder and piston set is the way to go.
1981 KZ1300

Best Way to Break Engine Loose? 8 years 11 months ago #7293

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
If you hone to clean up the cylinders from eBay, then you will render the end gaps of stock rings as marginally in spec. I always buy a full set of .010" oversized rings, then hand gap them to specs in stock bores.

Best Way to Break Engine Loose? 8 years 11 months ago #7294

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
EBay prospect ended up falling through. I'll probably end up taking the bores from my original motor (good, except for one cracked sleeve) to a machine shop and getting the sleeve replaced. I have all the parts, I just need a shop to swap them out for me.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds