TOPIC:

Reliable 12V engine running signal 9 years 5 months ago #4873

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Hi all,

Has anyone figured out a reliable way to get a 12V DC signal when the engine is running which changes to 0V if the engine has not yet started or stalled?

I figured within a relay in to the oil pressure signal but I'd rather have something that detects engine running similar to the way the AC form the generator was used to control the fuel solenoid valve.

I don't mind doing a bit of veroboard construction to detect either the ignition pulses or generator signals

I'm trying to modify a more modern blade fuse holder and would like to utilise the relays which turn off the headlight until after the engine starts.

Cheers
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Reliable 12V engine running signal 9 years 5 months ago #4875

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Hello Zed:

I use this item on my newer K1200GT and it has worked well. Initially intended to work with a CANBUS electrical system, but will work on any standard electrical system too.

The yellow trigger wire opens a relay to give you 5 ports of "Switched Power". After you turn on the key, to run accessories.

www.touratech-usa.com/Store/597/PN-044-0...ut-Helper-fuse-block

I recall paying $55.00 so either Touratech has raised their prices or you may be able to find it elsewhere for a better price. I think Touratech is the main importer for this device. (Could be wrong) but they may be the source for these in the states.

Hopefully I interpreted your post correctly.

Regards.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh.

Reliable 12V engine running signal 9 years 5 months ago #4876

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
How about a simple Time On Delay relay that can be purchased with set delay, say 10 seconds. It would give you 10 seconds from when you turn the key on until the head light comes on, should be enough time to start the engine. Simple to install, cheap, and would do the job.

I happen to have a 12V 10 sec. module sitting on my desk right now, you can get them with adjustable time delay as well. This one is a time off delay, you would need a time On delay. Cost is like $20 US.

1981 KZ1300
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tyler.

Reliable 12V engine running signal 9 years 5 months ago #4880

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Connect the ground side of the relay to the starter terminal so that when the starter is powered there is 12v at both sides of the relay coil and when there is no power to the starter the starter windings will be an effective earth for the relay because of very low resistance.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds