TOPIC:

Wiring issue 9 years 7 months ago #4282

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
Finally got the main wiring loom sorted, thanks Todd and Kza13.

Now my next issue is that I don't seem to have power to anything.

I have installed a battery so I can check to make sure what I have got connected is correct.
I have connected all multipin connectors and push in plugs into there reciprocating parts.
I would have thought that I should at least have a neutral / oil pressure light come up on the dash.
I have nothing. The bulbs are in good order.
I have checked to make sure there is power getting from the battery to the main fuse , there is. I then thought that the main ignition switch was in the off position. I set that to run, still no difference.
I checked to see if power was getting to both ignition switches , it does not appear to be.
Am I missing something?
I am not brilliant with electrical problems so a basic step by step answer would be appreciated.

Also I do not seem to be able to see where the clutch lever cut out wires need to go to, to plug into their reciprocating plugs. again any ideas where these may be located. I can't see anything obvious either in the headlight shell or around the headstock or under the tank areas.

Sorry for the silly questions and being a pain in the a%$e.

Thanks in advance.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wiring issue 9 years 7 months ago #4284

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
So if you don't have any pwr indicated on the bike I would start with the following, sounds like you are on the right track with what you have done thus far.

Before you start this task, make sure you have a fully charged, and functional battery.

Hopefully you have a good multi meter (Set it to the DC Scale) It may have an auto-range feature for simplicity. For example near the 12-volt scale, to read the meter correctly.

Start with the factory wiring diagram and start looking for battery voltage from the battery outward. (or take a short cut and go to the ignition switch at the head pipe. If no voltage there, start near the security switch, then on to the fuse panel and back up to the ignition switch and kill switch. Out of the kill switch I Pwr goes to the coils.

By not having overall pwr on the bike it should turn out to be something fairly straight forward like a ground, fuse, or major switch. Another possibility like you mention are the connectors.

Keep us posted.

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Wiring issue 9 years 7 months ago #4285

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
And don't forget to make doubly sure your battery leads are tight at the battery, engine ground, and at the starter solenoid. I have had similar issues on my bikes over the years, only to discover the leads were loose, corroded or defective in some way.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978
The following user(s) said Thank You: Torque59

Wiring issue 9 years 7 months ago #4286

• Torque59
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Todd

I get the feeling the answer is staring me in the face, it will be something silly and basic but I am just not seeing it.

Wiring issue 9 years 7 months ago #4287

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
there are two pairs of multi-pin connectors under that tank that will fit into the wrong connector.

I have had this problem before and connecting the wrong pairs together does present the symptoms you describe - doesn't appear to do any damage though. I think the main culprits are the two large 6 pin 1/4" connectors.

Ensure that the multi connectors have similar coloured leads on both the plug and socket sides of the connection.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Wiring issue 9 years 7 months ago #4288

• Torque59
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Finally found the problem, at last.
I decided I needed to get back to basics. To that end I rechecked all the connections at the battery and made sure all the correct multiplugs and connectors were correct. I then made sure that power was getting to the fuse block, which it was. I did find that the main fuse had an intermittent connection. I then replaced this with a new one. Power was now continuous to the fuse block.
I then went to recheck the main ignition switch, to make sure power was getting to that.
Power was getting to the switch but not coming out of it.
I then decided to remove the main switch again, and check it out.
When I had removed the switch I found that the back of the switch had come apart from the body.
I reassembled the switch and made sure I bent the locking tabs over correctly to hold everything tight as it should be. I can only presume that the previous owner may have had a problem in the past and has tried to fix it, unfortunately not very well.
I then put it all back together and hey presto, dash lights, tail light etc all working.
Thank goodness for that.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

One last thing left, the clutch lever cut out wires.
Can anyone advise where the connectors for these are. I don't have any spares in the headlight shell and I can't find any spare around the under tank area.

Thanks again for all you assistance.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds