Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Accel coil mounting question 9 years 10 months ago #3395

• fastpapaw
  • fastpapaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm in the process of trying to figure out a good way to mount these. In the instructions they mention having the towers pointed down. Is that really necessary? Seems as though it shouldn't matter which direction they're facing. Much easier to mount with the towers facing to the side and not have to cut a hole in the stock mounting plate under the tank.
Mike
'79 KZ1300, '74 Water Buffalo, '82 GS1100, '99 Ducati 996, '95 Goldwing, '13 BMW R1200RT, '13 ZX14R, '06 YZ450F Supermoto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Accel coil mounting question 9 years 10 months ago #3396

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Go to my post about new Accel coils I just put a set on and I have picture in that post how I did it. Your going to run into two problems. The first one being you can't put them in the same place the factory ones was with out putting two coils on top and one under. In other words back wards of the factory set up. Why is because the coils are bigger and it will not clear the coolant inlet. The second problem is to get clearance for the towers you have to cut the center of the plate out and you have to use longer bolts and spacers to space the coils apart so you can get the plug boots on. Now I will tell you this its not that hard take your time and boy does it make a big diffrence.

Accel coil mounting question 9 years 10 months ago #3399

• HotRodSixxer
  • Thank you received: 4
On the old KZ 1300 Club site there were 2 or 3 different posts on the Accel coil install. I also will be doing the Accel install in the future as I have had these coils waiting for over 10 years. I bought them when they were the accepted best coil option before the Dyna and Nology coils. Maybe Todd knows if this info is still available. David Ewing used to have DVDs available on all the upgrades. A lot of them are on the FAQ page, but not all. I did copy the Muzzy fan upgrade that one of the members did and will be doing that myself. I originally tried putting one on but it bottomed out on the motor. The other member solved this by sacrificing the old fan to get the metal centerpiece out of it and using it as a spacer to get enough clearance on the motor. He also ground a raised part of the motor down to get the clearance. I just looked up this piece and the member's name was Mejing from San Antonio, TX. This guy was a really scientific type and also did the Accel mod. He measured temp. readings with different configurations of the coils and it looks like he ended up putting an aluminum plate under the coils which brought the temp down considerably. There was also something about mounting the coils far enough behind that the fan actually had some affect on them.

Last edit: by HotRodSixxer. Reason: mistake on 1st post

Accel coil mounting question 9 years 10 months ago #3400

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Regarding the past website's article on Accel Coils, I would need to defer to KZQ. To see if he can resurrect that old article.

It may be a matter of starting with longer brass mounting screws and cut them to length.

Regards.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Accel coil mounting question 9 years 10 months ago #3406

• fastpapaw
  • fastpapaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes I saw your Post and it's the one I'll probably use but as I was fiddling around with things I determined that with one above the frame rails in the center and two below they can be made to fit quite easily using and modifying slightly the mounting plates that come with the Accel kit. Only issue would be the towers need to point sideways instead of down as they recommend. Was just curious as to whether that would be any issue. Why do they insist the towers be pointed down is my question?? Seems to me they should fire fine whichever direction they're pointing. By the way, thanks for your post, I hadn't thought of cutting the center portion out. Here's how I mounted the top one. The other two will fit under the frame rails in the outer mounting holes BUT the towers must point sideways.

Mike
'79 KZ1300, '74 Water Buffalo, '82 GS1100, '99 Ducati 996, '95 Goldwing, '13 BMW R1200RT, '13 ZX14R, '06 YZ450F Supermoto
Attachments:

Accel coil mounting question 9 years 10 months ago #3410

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
pointing down with the tower is so that if you every burn thru the plug boot your not throwing your spark into the side of the fuel tank. The paper work that came with my set said not to point towers toward fuel tank. Like I said in my post I gapped my plug at .40 not .35 . these coils will throw spark across a .60 gap with no problem.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds