TOPIC:

Fan switch rewiring. 10 years 1 month ago #2450

• Mikez
  • Mikez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi Everyone!

Recently I was putting in new coils and had a mishap with my temp sensor. With the tight fit above the motor and all the wires moving around the tab on the temp sensor snapped off :(. I tried to solder it back on but there wasn't enough material left to be able to get a rigid connection.

Now I have a few different courses of action to fix this so I wanted to get some input lol.

1) Connect the wire to a switch that I'll locate on my handlebar to manually turn my fan on and off.

2) Drill out the sensor hole, tap some 14mm threads in there and stall a different sensor that I have on hand. Whether the sensor will perform the way I want it to afterwards is questionable to me. That's because it's much shorter than the one that's currently in there. If you want to know what it looks like it's ebay item 151067219334.

3) Rewire it somehow to run off of the stator so the fan will only run while the bike is on. As opposed to having a switch for it, this would prevent me from forgetting to turn it off or worse, forgetting to turn it on while the bike is running.

Option 1 would be the most difficult for me to complete becuase of all the disassembly involved with getting the cover off. I'm trying to avoid it but I have all the tools I need to do it if I had to. I would most prefer option 3 if anyone can point me to which wire is best to splice this off of. Option 2 will be last ditch though if I just need to get on the road.

Thanks for any input I appreciate it!

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to select the proper category. Can I get this moved to electrical?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mikez.

Fan switch rewiring. 10 years 1 month ago #2451

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHello Mike:

Here is the easy route.

It's a bit over priced but $50.00 don't seem too bad to get the system back to working order, plus free shipping.

KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh.

Fan switch rewiring. 10 years 1 month ago #2453

• Mikez
  • Mikez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Nice find! Unfortunately I have all my money tied up right now which is why I was looking to utilize my current resources without spending anything.

Interesting, though, I'm showing the part number for the one on my bike in the fiche as 27010-1026. This one is 27010-1036. Any idea what the difference is?

Fan switch rewiring. 10 years 1 month ago #2454

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Mikez wrote: Nice find! Unfortunately I have all my money tied up right now which is why I was looking to utilize my current resources without spending anything.

Interesting, though, I'm showing the part number for the one on my bike in the fiche as 27010-1026. This one is 27010-1036. Any idea what the difference is?

Unfortunately without having the two side by side, it may be tough to tell. Kawasaki and all manufacturers often supersede their part numbers with little to no information.

Another way to verify these numbers is look to the model fitment guide that many of the micro fiche websites offer. By searching by part number only, many times that will yield what models those fit. As we know there were the differences in model years that have distinct and different part numbers. (Apart from the same parts that fit all models where part numbers were superseded.

Case in point, I recently replaced my 85MPH U.S. speedometer. The original part number had a superseded part number but when comparing it to my old unit, it appeared identical.

Other suggestions for alternatives are good ones, and one is bound to work for you.

Regards.

T.
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Fan switch rewiring. 10 years 1 month ago #2455

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Mike:

I did some further checking and 27010-1026 is the obsolete number. 27010-1036 is the replacement number and it is still available from Kaw. They are supposed to be one in the same.

Todd.
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Fan switch rewiring. 10 years 1 month ago #2470

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
If you refer back to David Ewing's FAQ's, he states that the 27010-1026 switch ( ZN1300 Voyager) switches the fan on at a lower temp than the 27010-1036 (KZ1300) and is a recommended retro fit for the KZ.
Pete / Strate6 also recently addressed the subject of re threading to accept a more commonly available switch.
Regards,
James

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds