Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Accel coil-pack on Ebay 10 years 1 month ago #2439

• HotRodSixxer
  • HotRodSixxer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi guys, Check out Ebay seller sales69-llc if you are interested in a GM style coil-pack. It is an Accel/Magnavox unit .7 ohms, 42,000volts. It is new but probably not in original box- most of this guy's stuff is like that. But at $85 it might be a good deal for someone. This is my first post as a new member, looking forward to looking at everything here. I've followed the old site off and on since about 2000. Jake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Accel coil-pack on Ebay 10 years 1 month ago #2447

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Welcome to KZ1300.COM Jake!

I previously had a similar coil pack fitted but removed it because I wanted more of the power used to fire the plugs instead of being wasted as heat in the ballast resistor. My electronic skills are superficial so perhaps I wasn't thinking right. It did work fine for the few weeks I had it in use.

Once again, Welcome to our forum.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Accel coil-pack on Ebay 10 years 1 month ago #2448

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
I would like to 2nd what Bill states and add the following.

Anytime you can eliminate a ballast resistor and upgrade to a 3ohm coil is a good thing. More Primary (Low Voltage directly to the coil is best)

I hate to alter the original design, for those of us who want to keep our bikes stock.

Going to a Dyna type 3ohm coil that provides a hotter, more accurate spark is one of the best things we can do for performance. aka biggest bang for the buck. (Sorry if that seems too brand specific.)

Going to a solid state 3dohm coil would be even better. Like the Dyna DCK1. Plug ends are straight off the end of the coil

The DC style coil is patterned after the original Honda coil of the early 70's. They are a little cheaper and they still offer 30,000 plus volts. plug ends are on the side of the coil body, angled at 45 deg.

I have both DC and DCK style coils in use. The older Honda style on my 1300 and the newer solid state style on my KZ1000. I should have used the newer DCK coil on the 1300 because those leads are straight off the end of the coils, just like the factory ones.

Here is what the DCK's look like. www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/accessories/Dyna_Coils/

Other members who have used or tried other manufacturers feel free to chime in.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, HotRodSixxer

Last edit: by Toddh.

Accel coil-pack on Ebay 10 years 1 month ago #2493

• HotRodSixxer
  • HotRodSixxer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Todd, I totally agree with you about eliminating the ballast resistor and just running the correct coils. I bought a few things way back in 2000 when I first got mine and one thing was the recommended (at that time) Accel coils. These other coils would probably be better, especially the small size, but I think these will be OK. I checked mine and I get 3.1 Ohms on 2 of them and 3.2 on the other one. I remember some guys were using the GM coipacks so when I saw that one on Ebay I thought someone might be interested.

Accel coil-pack on Ebay 10 years 1 month ago #2494

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65

HotRodSixxer wrote: Hi Todd, I totally agree with you about eliminating the ballast resistor and just running the correct coils. I bought a few things way back in 2000 when I first got mine and one thing was the recommended (at that time) Accel coils. These other coils would probably be better, especially the small size, but I think these will be OK. I checked mine and I get 3.1 Ohms on 2 of them and 3.2 on the other one. I remember some guys were using the GM coipacks so when I saw that one on Ebay I thought someone might be interested.

Agreed:

Accel's were a very good coil back in the day, and if these are serviceable, would make a great coil today.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRodSixxer

Accel coil-pack on Ebay 10 years 1 month ago #2509

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Nology has worked for me for much the same reasons - big output , small size , 3 ohm and my case I bought the whole system -- coils, wires, and plugs. There was quite the debate on other sites whether the wires actually did anything to boost output or not- hard to tell. But once I fitted the Motogadget electronic dashboard the wires interfered with it to the point where I went back to more regular wires.
Lucky for us that Harley riders customise so much , giving us such a big choice of coils.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: HotRodSixxer

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds