Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cut wires, help please. 4 years 1 week ago #26524

• ukblade
  • ukblade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Apologies that my first post may be a bit of a read but please persevere.
The original owner told me the ACC position didn't work but that didn't bother me too much.
The issue I have is when ignition is turned on the dashboard (?) all lights up as does the tank trip display, once you start engine the tank display goes out, the headlight is a dull orange glow, whether low or high beam selected.
When I try the indicators (turn signal) the front ones dim to flash rather than get brighter, not sure if that is correct, the indicator lights on dashboard are dimly lit all the while but flash bright when in use, hope that makes sense.
The clutch has a switch (sidestand?) but to start the bike I have to leave the clutch out, if I pull the clutch in there is no power to starter button. This seems to be the wrong way round to me.
I've attached a picture of wiring by battery, I have tried looking at the wiring diagram but it really doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone show me an actual picture of where these wires should go.
I realise that the 2 red circles should connect together but this has been cut with the white wire being fed directly from the Live side of starter relay (I think that's what is is anyway).
The Black/yellow wires are where I think most of my problems stem from, these were all connected direct to top of battery earth post, again if there's a picture to show me how these should be connected, would be appreciated enormously.
I have removed the dashboard completely and pulled all the connectors apart to check for corrosion but everything is actually very clean and dry but I think until I can sort out the "Cut" wires I see no point in trying to find any other possible places that would be causing issues.
Thank you, Mark.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ukblade. Reason: missed attaching photo

Cut wires, help please. 4 years 6 days ago #26545

• ukblade
I think now I've studied the wiring diagram a little closer, I've realised that there isn't much amiss.
I think if I put proper terminals on the 3 earth wires then they do just bolt to battery earth terminal, the 3 white/red wires in the red cap need a correct terminal then will bolt to the starter relay where the plain white wire goes, this then frees up the small block connectors to rejoin together, which then should power up the ACC switch of ignition.
It'll give me something to do today anyway.
Don't panic guys, no doubt, I'll be back for more questions!!

Cut wires, help please. 4 years 6 days ago #26547

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
All your issues you describe sound like a ground issue. When a proper ground is not available, the electricity will attempt to find an alternate path to ground. So carry on with your minor repairs and see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ukblade

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Cut wires, help please. 4 years 6 days ago #26555

• ukblade
Spent a very productive afternoon, cutting, soldering, heat shrinking, far from my forte but enjoyed it, taking my time, cross referencing the wiring diagram.
Guess what?, no smoking wires but I do have a great bright white headlight, all instruments now working and an ACC circuit that works too.
Very happy days, might have a little glass of Red to celebrate.

Cut wires, help please. 4 years 6 days ago #26556

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Nice and simple. That's the way we like them.
Skip the red and go straight for the Bourbon.( or probably in your case Scotch) You deserve it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds