Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

coils and HT leads 4 years 2 months ago #25990

• CWB
  • CWB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 11
Ignition coils and HT lead order. I see Page 49 in the manual as advised and for example the manual states the centre coil (which is the top coil) has HT leads to 1 and 6 plugs. However I need clarification if it matters which HT lead from the coil goes to plug or 6 or plug 1. ie the left lead or the right lead.
Thanks

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coils and HT leads 4 years 2 months ago #25993

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
don’t think it matters - the coil fires both 1 and 6 plugs simultaneously- but of course only one of those cylinders is on the power stroke at once, so the the other is a ‘wasted’ spark. I hope that makes sense!

coils and HT leads 4 years 2 months ago #25997

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
As biltonjim said, it matters not, per cylinder there's a spark every other revolution of the engine as it's a wasted spark ignition system :)
Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: CWB

coils and HT leads 4 years 2 months ago #25998

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
As other's have suggested, it doesn't matter - but if you have original lenght wires, you may find they won't reach the plugs if you take them to the wrong side (prettys sure the left wire goes to 1 and the right goes to 6.

Further, and you can add this to the list of anal things to be concerned about....

Since, for any given pair of plugs on the same coil, one plug fires from the center electrode and it's pair fires to the center electrode, when I pull my plugs, I always swap within pairs when putting them back in. Probably doesn't really do anything, but some folks are sold or iridium plugs and if the iridium really does do anything (only the center electrode is iridium), then swapping within pairs occasionally may make them last longer/perform better).
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CWB

Last edit: by Bucko.

coils and HT leads 4 years 2 months ago #26000

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Bucko wrote: As other's have suggested, it doesn't matter - but if you have original lenght wires, you may find they won't reach the plugs if you take them to the wrong side (prettys sure the left wire goes to 1 and the right goes to 6.

Further, and you can add this to the list of anal things to be concerned about....

Since, for any given pair of plugs on the same coil, one plug fires from the center electrode and it's pair fires to the center electrode, when I pull my plugs, I always swap within pairs when putting them back in. Probably doesn't really do anything, but some folks are sold or iridium plugs and if the iridium really does do anything (only the center electrode is iridium), then swapping within pairs occasionally may make them last longer/perform better).

Just for you Bucko- NGK makes an IFR6B plug that is iridium center electrode and a platinum ground electrode. More even wear for those "wasted Spark" engines. No more need to swap plugs around. I've also seen double iridium plugs but the identifier number escapes me at the moment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko, CWB

coils and HT leads 4 years 2 months ago #26002

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Thanks Kawboy. TIL - good to know.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds