Electrical

TOPIC:

Alternative ignition system 4 years 3 months ago #25598

• Daro
  • Daro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Four pages of oscilloscope pictures, I have to speed up a little. Ignition coil. Standard Kawasaki coils are not suitable for this project alone due to its age(no new ones available) and too high primary resistance, also Dyna super coil is simply overpriced, for bit of copper wire some metal and little bit of epoxy so I started with coils from car, cheap once for example six cylinder Opel engine or Bosch 3x2 but this coils are just too big or positioning theme somewhere else would result in very long HV cables, so while searching I found some SKV coils. SKV146 coil was perfect because its form its size and electrical parameters, but hey are two basic types of it, smaller and the bigger one. Smaller one have two pins connector and the larger one have screw terminals this is how I distinct theme at first. Smaller coils unfortunately have three groups when looking at the secondary resistance and two from primary point of view but carry the same name, so we leave that for now. The larger coils are of the interest, and the one I bought have 0,8 ohm primary and 15 K ohm secondary winding Essen 03SKV146 EAN 2249698616966 and Magnetti Marelli BAEC121 long code: 060717121012, they are 15 euro each which makes theme perfect for the job.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alternative ignition system 4 years 3 months ago #25600

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
That's how the spark looks like when above coils are combined with Huco 138001 module.

Also there are no problems upon acceleration like with Hella module.

And here once more when all is fitted in the bike and hydrocarbons are present. Spark is about 2 milliseconds long, the coils are not getting any hot so the ignition modules.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by Daro.

Alternative ignition system 4 years 3 months ago #25617

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Only assembling it all together is left now. I fabricated the stainless steel plate to mount the units.

I like to presolder wires especially when there is not much space to work.

Cables must be attached as follows:

1 – To the ignition coil (Black 1-6, Green 2-5, Black 3-4)
2 – None (Ground internally connected to with pin 3)
3 – Ground Black wire
4 – Voltage supply Yellow wire
5 – To Pulse coil
6 - To Pulse coil
7 - N.A.

Connecting wires is easy as it is similar to the original cables coming out of pulsing unit apart of the yellow-white and green-white.

And so you can make igniter replacement if you in need.

One more thing, on cables coming from pulsing unit there are resistors soldered max 4,7kilo ohm in series (pin 6) to shift the dwell signal a little in case you encounter difficulties when sparks are firing at about 8-9 K rpm. I cant modify input stage of the unit due to printed film resistors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by Daro.

Alternative ignition system 4 years 3 months ago #25618

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
My only comment at this point would be to question the use of a stainless steel for the mounting plate. The Huco module has a metal backing plate similar to the 4 pin HEI modules previously pictured and all of them require a heat dissipating paste on the back side to transfer heat from the module to the mounting plate to keep the temp down in the module. I'll assume the Huco module requires the same. The reason I question the stainless steel mounting plate is due to the lousy heat transference of stainless and I wonder if the stainless will keep the heat down in your modules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daro

Alternative ignition system 4 years 3 months ago #25619

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Kawboy, you right the heat transfer ability may be impaired a little but i have had this setup for whole season with out any overheat symptoms. I did forget to add in the description heat transfer paste, thanks for mentioning it. However already at low up to mid range rpms there is little action of the current limiter due to relative high resistance of the primary coil. Also my back plate has no cooling ribs of any kind so the plate it self will heat soak and that's it. Thanks for commenting on this stuff, i know it was probably boring some what due to theoretical part of the project but i wanted to reflect what it took to build this properly instead just showing how to slap some controllers together solder the wires and hope for luck. I also hope you and other members have had good read here and sorry due to my English language limitations. It was great experience i have made on the way while building this, one more thing: is there any one who would have and sell old broken igniter to do postmortem and maybe repair or modify output stage ? That would be definitely a project for me for 2020. Also question to Agmonmarine: what coils are you using in you setup and what]s the story of how you got this build ? Would be nice if you replied. That's it. Thanks guys, until the next project arises. Oh one more think Kawboy, i also measured the time of transistor switch in modules and it vary slightly from one to another but nothing significant.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Alternative ignition system 1 month 1 week ago #32329

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
This is such an interesting read and timely due to KawaBCN and his investigations into rebuilding the igniter. Daro hasn't logged on for the past 2 months and I wish he would and give us a progress report on his final installation.

Brilliant work here Daro !!

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds