Electrical

TOPIC:

A5 refurb 4 years 11 months ago #23954

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Can you not use a pre-load spacer (or longer pre-load spacer) in the fork tube

Can't answer that question definitively. When I replaced a fork seal a while ago I was moving the bike around with NO air pressure and the slightest front-brake application plunged the forks completely. I've found (for myself) that a minimum of 10PSI will work but 15PSI works best.
With the stock shocks it's not difficult to compress the spring to get the top fitting cap started into the tube. I can however imagine some real difficulty trying to compress the spring with spacers added, to get those very fine threads started. Cross-threading would be a very real concern. None-the-less, the forks on mine are designed to have some air in them. Other years - not sure.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A5 refurb 4 years 11 months ago #23955

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Just to make sure it's out there - the shocks which have the connector came with one air valve on one fork. The other fork is simply plugged at the top

Bucko:

Can you not use a pre-load spacer

When installing progressive springs it is often recommended not to use air, and they come with pre-load spacers. You need to have space for it on top of the springs to fit.
If I remember correctly, I had to use considerable power to push the springs down to install the top caps on the forks and the caps were sitting directly on the springs. So, my answer would be no, you can't have spacers for preload - there is no space for them. Perhaps fitting shorter aftermarket progressive springs would allow it.

Added:

Scotch:

to get those very fine threads started

Yes, that's it! They are not incredibly strong, but strong enough to wear you out when trying to start those threads, That's what happened to me, and I was going mad.

Last edit: by StanG.

A5 refurb 4 years 11 months ago #23958

• beertad
  • beertad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Stan. any chance you can send me a close up of your clutch lever and the mounting. i am trying to establish bits which have been changed on mine. what i have at present if not right.
Tad

A5 refurb 4 years 11 months ago #23959

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
From my old photo - is this enough? I can take one after rebuild when back home in the evening.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: beertad

Last edit: by StanG.

A5 refurb 4 years 11 months ago #23961

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

StanG wrote: If I remember correctly, I had to use considerable power to push the springs down to install the top caps on the forks and the caps were sitting directly on the springs. So, my answer would be no, you can't have spacers for preload - there is no space for them. Perhaps fitting shorter aftermarket progressive springs would allow it.

I installed Progressive brand springs in my 900F (also designed to have air in the forks) and I think they're the same Progressive springs that the ZN1300 takes (which I always though was odd since the ZN weighs at least 300lbs more than the 900). In any case, the springs stick out farther than the top of the forks and it takes a bit of work and finesse but the springs can be compressed enough to include a spacer. The KZ1300 Progressive spring has a different part - maybe it's a stiffer spring - but it seems weird that the lighter KZ1300 would have a stiffer spring than the ZN1300 which weighs a couple hundred lbs more.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

A5 refurb 4 years 11 months ago #23962

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Kawboy wrote: 51044-1005 " Hose Assembly, Front Fork" used on

Kawasaki Motorcycle 1982 KZ1300-A4 Front Fork
Kawasaki Motorcycle 1979 KZ1300-A1 FRONT FORK (KZ1300-A3)
Kawasaki Motorcycle 1981 KZ1300-A3 FRONT FORK (KZ1300-A3)
Kawasaki Motorcycle 1980 KZ1300-A2 FRONT FORK (KZ1300-A3)

info provided via www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/51044...539a052ba030fc7c3b32

Something weird there. There's no crossover tube shown on the 79 fiche and air valves are 'show' (implied - not actually shown) for both forks. I'm pretty sure mine had air valves on each fork. My guess is the later model forks superseded the earlier forks so the cross over tube would then be compatible (and required).

Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds