Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

left hand switch block (indicators and horn) 5 years 6 months ago #21373

• met1212
  • met1212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
well, i have taken it all apart and the horn switch stuffed, for some reason....seems to be that it's just jammed in one position and will not move....
all the other parts to this switch block are good, side dimmer, and indicator switches are all good.

so, looks like i'm going to have to improvise by either finding something very close or similar in a horn switch to replace the old one (and i don't like my chances here) or do away with the entire left hand switch block and replace with a new aftermarket one....

this will offcourse bypass the self cancelling and hazard functions that come standard with the bike .

the question is:
has anyone actually done this and if so, what sort of switch out there, have they gone with that works well enough to still operate high beam, horn and manual indicating...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

left hand switch block (indicators and horn) 5 years 6 months ago #21376

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
If the bike was left to sit outside then I could see the switch stuck with corrosion but usually what happens is the carbon steel spring rots. Usually you can pull the switch apart and clean it all up and sometimes you have to source a new spring.
I'd be struggling on with saving the switch.

left hand switch block (indicators and horn) 5 years 6 months ago #21377

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Agreed Kawboy, if it's already dead, nothing to lose by attempting a strip-down, just be careful catching small components as Scotch advises and no harm in snapping a photo of positioning of internal components as they become visible.

Can only really be a bad solder joint, dirt, corrosion or arc'd contacts like old-school points.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

left hand switch block (indicators and horn) 5 years 6 months ago #21378

• met1212
  • met1212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
ok.......ive just had it all apart.

the verdict is that one of the two microscopic springs was broken inside,
and i suspect the other one has not far to go.
also one of the micro cups that the spring sits into and slides over the long copper terminals, is also pretty much had it.

not sure where id look for such a small spring, i guess there's bound to be someone that manufactures them, but the cup slider is another story....

everything else in that switch block seems good and working well,
after an extensive clean up.

the bike has never sat outside since i have owned it, but offcourse
ive only owned it for a fraction of its 40 odd years....

left hand switch block (indicators and horn) 5 years 6 months ago #21379

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
" Necessity is the mother of invention" - Plato
Sometimes it helps to turn on the creative juices. The first place I would look is a retractable ball point pen. Some have light springs, some heavy, different diameters etc.
In Canada, our local harware store has a variety pack from which you can chose. Canadian tire Home Depot Lowes all carry springs in various sizes. If you need a specific size and force there's always an automotive specialty fastener supply company. I have catalogs from a few in this field. H. Paulin , Fastenal, Spaenaur to name a few.
If you can, I would try for a stainless spring.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

left hand switch block (indicators and horn) 5 years 6 months ago #21380

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
.. as well as kwak switchgear from cheaper more available models of that era, lotsa Zs like 650 / 750 / 900 / 1000 may share similar switch internals if they're outwardly similar in layout and switch operation (the specific switch I mean).
Might be worth a look around.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds