Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

plugs 3 & 4 not producing spark 5 years 8 months ago #20745

• giorgi3
  • giorgi3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
1) Does anyone know where you can by an IC igniter for the kz1300?

2) I happen to have a second KZ1300 that runs fine. I considered switching the IC igniter from the running one to the non-running one just to see if that would fix the issue, but I don't want to screw up the running KZ1300.. Would it be safe to switch it?

Thanks again for all the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

plugs 3 & 4 not producing spark 5 years 8 months ago #20747

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

giorgi3 wrote: 1) Does anyone know where you can by an IC igniter for the kz1300?

2) I happen to have a second KZ1300 that runs fine. I considered switching the IC igniter from the running one to the non-running one just to see if that would fix the issue, but I don't want to screw up the running KZ1300.. Would it be safe to switch it?

Thanks again for all the help.

I'm not in favor of switching the ignitors just in case an external part caused the ignitor to fail. One of the common problems that causes the ignitors to fail is a high load on the transistors which could be caused by a shorted primary winding in a coil or somebody did something stupid like changing out the coils for lower resistance coils or removed the ballast resistors. It's really important that we respect the specification for the primary resistance of the ballast resistors and ignition coils to total 2.7 to 3.8 ohms.  A short in the primary of an ignition coil could lower the resistance enough to fry a transistor in the IC ignitor.

I don't know if you're trying to keep to the original parts or are willing to update to newer technology. I found a source for an updated ignitor but I have no experience with this ignitor. Maybe another member could advise if they have used this ignitor.   Carmo Ignitor for the KZ1300

Last edit: by Kawboy.

plugs 3 & 4 not producing spark 5 years 8 months ago #20748

• giorgi3
  • giorgi3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks Kawboy,

I was afraid of that as well.  I'm wondering if it would be safe to switch the other way? Put the 'bad' igniter on the good bike just to make sure it's really  'bad'?  Can a fried igniter cause other issues on a bike? Just trying to be careful.

Thoughts?

plugs 3 & 4 not producing spark 5 years 8 months ago #20756

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
The only thing a bad ignitor can do is not fire a coil. I would think you would be safe to try. 

Anyone else with an opinion?

plugs 3 & 4 not producing spark 5 years 8 months ago #20757

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Looked at the Canadian schematic and seems strait forward enough to think that there should be no issue provided the ignition-coils system has the correct resistance values. Power comes from one source - the KILL-switch - and seems logical that the three coil circuits would be isolated from each other internally, with regard to the Igniter.
Perhaps another winter project if I could get my hands on a defective igniter. Spend endless/mindless hours picking out the potting material to see what the guts look like !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: giorgi3

plugs 3 & 4 not producing spark 5 years 8 months ago #20759

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

scotch wrote: Looked at the Canadian schematic and seems strait forward enough to think that there should be no issue provided the ignition-coils system has the correct resistance values. Power comes from one source - the KILL-switch - and seems logical that the three coil circuits would be isolated from each other internally, with regard to the Igniter.
Perhaps another winter project if I could get my hands on a defective igniter. Spend endless/mindless hours picking out the potting material to see what the guts look like ![/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I had a Porsche 928 computer fry up because I did a stupid thing and tried to boost the Porsche with another running car. As soon as the Porsche fired up, the 2 generating systems over voltage supplied the Porsche and the computer couldn''t handle the high voltage. Fried a couple of transistors in the computer. Found a guy in Arazona with experience fixing the computers and for the paultry sum of $400, he repaired the computer and reflashed the chip. All better now. A replacement computer at the wrecking yard goes for $1800-$2000.

Megasquirt offers a build it yourself engine management control unit for $420. Printed circuit board and all of the transistors, diodes, capacitors and resistors to build a ECU capable of 8 cylinder sequential fuel injection and 8 cylinder coil on plug ignition. I would die and go to heaven to build out one of these for shits and giggles. Sounds like a great educational project and I love to learn new things.
'
Trearing into a defective ignitor for the KZ sounds like fun to me. Love to learn "what make it tick" and if able to replace/ update the troubling transistors all the better.
First things first KB. Stay on point. Camshafts ARGGGGGG !!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: giorgi3

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds