Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20553

• met1212
  • met1212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
anyone out there with experience in dealing with either accel or dyna coils...?
and verdict as whats the better of the two options...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20560

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
I'd be interested to hear, too.   My KZ1300 A4 , which I bought several years ago as a restoration project, has Accel coils.  After all the recent debate on this forum regarding replacement coils, and the importance of having the correct primary resistance, it has got me wondering what the resistance of the Accel coils is. 

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20567

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Not familiar with either type Jim, but one bit of advice (based on my own testing of the infamous AW82-TR jobbies) is to never assume the resistance from what's published, but measure the buggers yourself with an accurate meter!

Mine were all getting on for 10% low and that's enough to put the all-up resistance into an uncomfortable area.

Richard.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20593

• met1212
  • met1212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
i tried the aw82-tr option.....and it was all a waste of time and money.
it ran on 3 cylinders before the aw82-tr option and ran on all 6 for a day after the big op.....now i 'm back to square 1 with only 3 cylinders working.... so i guess the next thing, (short of taking the pile of junk and over  the next 100 ft cliff) is replacing the aw82-tr coils with either accel or dyna coils.......

Last edit: by met1212.

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20594

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Yikes that's frustrating.

You don't think it might be igniter (or whatever it's called) or loom related do you?

Especially if your lovely AW82 coils all buzz through OK, although loss of 3 cylinders isn't consistent with the paired coil supply and (I assume) 3 x igniter outputs for the 3 coils.

Any chance you may be running on 2 or 4 cylinders?
I guess the easy tests are either pulling the plug leads individually or feeling the header tubes shortly after start.
(apologies if your feedback is already based on all these!)

The cliff option is an interesting one, those 41mm forks should hold up well, but my concern is due to the weight it'll end up half embedded into the ground below and every time you pass that way you'll see that numberplate grinning up at you...
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: met1212

accel vs dyna coils... 5 years 9 months ago #20600

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

met1212 wrote: i tried the aw82-tr option.....and it was all a waste of time and money.
it ran on 3 cylinders before the aw82-tr option and ran on all 6 for a day after the big op.....now i 'm back to square 1 with only 3 cylinders working.... so i guess the next thing, (short of taking the pile of junk and over  the next 100 ft cliff) is replacing the aw82-tr coils with either accel or dyna coils.......

Note that 1 coil feeds 2 cylinders are you sure you are dead on three cylinders? And if so, which 3 are dead? This wiĺl help determine the problem.
When you changed the coils , did you happen to change the spark plugs too?
The following user(s) said Thank You: met1212

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds