• Page:

TOPIC:

MOSFET regulator - Fuse or Breaker? 6 years 9 months ago #16926

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
In a previous thread I indicated that I was converting to a Shindengen MOSFET fh020aa regulator. I had made a comment about the ridiculous size of the supplied fuse and questioned whether a equivalent rated breaker could be used. Kawboy pointed out that it appeared to be a "Maxi" fuse which utilizes "Diffusion Pill" technology. This cautionary comment sent me on a bit of a journey to "get it Right" !
I'm not going to get technical or lengthy with this. If interested there's enough reading material out there that's easy to find. As best as I could determine the fuse as supplied with my purchase is a simple fuse - JUST BIG. A true "Maxi- fuse has a unique and easily recognizable element. The final determining factor for myself was a site "roadstercycle.com" . "Jack" sells MOSFET kits with your choice of fuse OR breaker. He notes that the "breaker" is easier to mount due to it's more compact size. ( no kidding?)
This is the fuse supplied with my V/R

The following are Maxi-fuses. The difference in the elements is obvious.

Thanks to kawboy for this journey! His point was valid and required the "trip" No Pun Intended !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds