Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

photo sender unit 7 years 5 months ago #14972

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Regarding your sender unit- Looking a little ugly. I suspect the baseplate under the nylon washer is rusted/pitted and that's where your leak is. I would take the sender unit apart by removing the rivet, then cleaning up the base plate. If it's pitted, you could use lead solder to fill in the pits and then clean up the solder with a file and water emery sandpaper, then replace the eyelet and rivet the assembly back together. That would be my fix. A little tricky but not impossible.

As far as the chain tensioner goes, my preference is a manual chain adjuster. The only issue is that you MUST adjust the chain about every 2,000 miles. For me that would be once a year because I'm a fair weather rider. There are mods that can be done to spring tensioners as posted in the FAQ section and they maybe a better chose for those who don't have the experience to adjust a manual tensioner or prefer to have an automatic tensioner that just takes care of the slack in the chain as required. I'm not against the automatic tensioners, Just not my preference. I like the manual ones primarily because as I make an adjustment, I know just how much the chain has stretched since the last time I adjusted it. It's my way of "keeping an eye on things"

Do a search on EBay for item # 251843641653 (copy and paste this number into the search line)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kiwirider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

photo sender unit 7 years 5 months ago #14974

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
I'd say someone has put too much heat into that connection when soldering the wire on and has melted the plastic washer, and I have the replacement auto tensioner with the 10mm cut from the spring, haven't checked it for ages ... I also changed the nylon tensioner cog for a metal one, no noise and I ride mine to and from work everyday, unless it rains, then I take the ute, been wet enough on a bike in my younger days, that cold rainwater running down your butt crack is not a nice experience :-) :-), so over that
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
The following user(s) said Thank You: kiwirider

photo sender unit 7 years 5 months ago #14979

• kiwirider
  • kiwirider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Thanks for the reply's i have a second hand one coming ill have a go and fix this one as a spear its failed because someone has soldered the wire and melted the washer then they have coated it in a epoxy glue and petrol has eaten into it .Thanks Graham
2018 Harley cvo ultra 1982 cbx1000 1980 gsx1100 2012 gtr1400 cx500 turbo 1977 suzuki gt750

Fuel sender leaking 7 years 5 months ago #15031

• cartdoc
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1984 zn1300 that needs fuel level sending unit repaired or replaced.Cant find anything on e bay.Anyone know who repairs these units.I am in north Florida..

Fuel sender leaking 7 years 5 months ago #15033

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
They are pretty simple inside, well the one on my 1979 A1 is, just a float on an arm to a slide over a fine wire wrapping, usually just the wire has broken off at the connection to the outside, careful little bit of solder and it's all fixed
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
The following user(s) said Thank You: cartdoc

Fuel sender leaking 7 years 5 months ago #15034

• cartdoc
  • Thank you received: 0
it seems the arm that rolls across the band of wire has come loose from the brass barrel that fits on the float rod.The wire is intact so I mat try to peel the bracket back so I can get to the arm and re solder it.The whole piece was so rusty from a filthy tank I have it soaking in apple cider vinegar to clean it up,yes apple cider vinegar works!!Will post pics as I attempt the repair..

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds