Electrical

TOPIC:

Starter switch replacement 7 years 8 months ago #13818

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Is there any compatible starter switches from other bikes that will fit into the KZ300 right handle assembly. I've already rebuilt the switch a few months ago and it worked well for a while but I think the contacts are starting to fail again. I'm not sure if its rebuildable at this point.

If not, Is it advisable to wire a heavy duty contact switch to the starter relay itself? I could hide it under the edge of the frame beside the seat. I think that would be neater than rigging something up on the bars.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter switch replacement 7 years 8 months ago #13825

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I wouldn't say you will need a heavy duty switch but a water proof one would be best. The starter solenoid should only draw around 1 amp at most. Many of the older offroad bikes have a push button for the kill switch which would mount on the bars easily. Small mods to the wiring may be needed but easy to do.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

Starter switch replacement 7 years 8 months ago #13828

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Yeh the button on the handle bar control box doesn't have high amps running thru it, it just makes the relay work, that's where the hi amps are, so any small waterproof switch should work
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ledkz1300

Starter switch replacement 7 years 8 months ago #13830

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Great, thanks guys. I was thinking gone of those little dirtbike kill switches may have worked but wasn't sure about the amperage. Trouble is I don't want it on the handlebars because I don't want to change the wiring up there in case I find a switch or successfully rebuild this one. I have another non-working switch I may be able to take apart and clean up but I need something to get me through the hump. Two bikes, two dead ignition switches. My luck never ends :)

Starter switch replacement 7 years 6 months ago #14750

• Mightyzod
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Have you posted the steps for rebuilding the starter switch? Now that mine actually runs, I would like to make it do so without massaging the starter button. If no one has posted, perhaps you could share just a few tips on the process?

I still can't believe mine is running. Man, what a sound.

Thanks, MZ

Starter switch replacement 7 years 6 months ago #14773

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No I haven't posted it but I'm happy to post what I remember of it. It wasn't too difficult except the parts are so very tiny and its easy to lose them. The switch itself has a very tiny spring and ball that it rocks on. It is easy to lose both. I'll look at the spare switch I cannibalized to refresh my memory a little and take a few pictures. Most of the process involved cleaning up the very tiny but very dirty contacts and soldering the corroded wires at the rear of the switch.

My rebuilt switch is actually still working. It was starting to fail so I sprayed contact cleaner liberally inside the switch and blew it out with air. After it dried it was good as new again. Carbon must build up on it fairly easily. We also have a salty, corrosive climate.

Glad to hear your ride is up and running. There is nothing quite like the sound of these when they are running as they should. You should hear it scream at 8000 rpm with open headers :woohoo:

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds